Earlier this week we asked our readers for their favorite places in rural Minnesota to grab a bite to eat, and received an overwhelming number of suggestions.
The inspiration came from a thread in the Minnesota subreddit, on which Redditors gave a traveling businessman some tips on the best restaurants outside Minnesota's largest cities.
You, our readers, put forward your suggestions on Facebook and Twitter, and we've compiled some of what we think, judging by the number of likes, were the most popular choices.
- King's Bar and Grill in Miesville, southeastern Minnesota: This popular burger joint – about a 10-15 minute drive from Cannon Falls – was a popular pick both on the Reddit thread and the GoMN Facebook page. Commenter Dita Daub says the restaurant, which can trace its origins back to 1874, has "truly great burgers."
- The Brass Rail in Grandy, east-central Minnesota: This family restaurant in the small, unincorporated community of Grandy along Highway 65 north of Cambridge was suggested by Cassandra Jensen, who said it has the "best broasted chicken ever" and a "great price, too!" The eatery has been serving its trademark chicken since 1969.
- Gordy's Hi-Hat in Cloquet, northeastern Minnesota: Another popular choice among Facebook and Reddit users, with commenter Mark Kessler summing it up as simply "the best." The eatery proclaims it's been "famous for our hamburgers since 1960," but don't head up there until the spring, as it closes for the winter season.
- The Ranchero Supper Club in Webster, southeastern Minnesota:This mixture of German-Swiss-American cuisine has been operating since 1972 when it was opened by founders "Rudy and Ann"– the former of whom is from Switzerland. It's now run by their daughter and son-in-law. Menu items include filet mignon, red cabbage, spaetzle, and frog's legs.
- The Red Onion in Belgrade, west-central Minnesota: This was the top choice of the Reddit user who started off the whole thread earlier this week, and GoMN readers agree this drive-in is up there with the best. It closes for the season on Sunday, so this weekend's your last chance to sample its famous soft-serve ice cream and burgers.
While we can't cover them all, here are some other popular shoutouts from Facebook readers: Judy's in Two Harbors, North Shore; The Barn in Brainerd, west-central Minnesota; Muggs of Mille Lacs, Wahkon, east-central Minnesota; Blue Water Cafe in Grand Marais, North Shore; Happy's in Onamia, east-central Minnesota; Bergen Bar & Grill in Bergen, southern Minnesota.
Some suggestions from Twitter
Reporter's favorite rural restaurant
Granted I've not lived in Minnesota long, but my in-laws live in Elbow Lake, west-central Minnesota, and I've never had a bad meal at Hans House Restaurant.
Run by a German called Eugen, they do a mean roast dinner on Sundays and always have huge portions. Eugen himself makes fantastic cakes to order for special occasions.