Heroin ring broken; 11 Twin Cities men charged

Prosecutors say 11 men from the Twin Cities were part of a major heroin ring, broken by law enforcement officials in the last month, that had operated since 2000. They have been charged in a federal indictment unsealed this week.
Author:
Publish date:

Prosecutors say 11 men from the Twin Cities were part of a major heroin ring that had operated for more than a decade, and they have been charged in a federal indictment unsealed this week, KSTP reports.

A trial is scheduled to start in January, KSTP says.

Federal prosecutors say that the operation ran from the year 2000 through Oct. 15, 2012, KARE 11 reports.

State law enforcement officials have grown increasingly concerned about heroin use. Authorities announced that they had dismantled another heroin ring in July after a 15-month investigation, WCCO reported.

Use of the potent, popular drug is rising, the Star Tribune reported last summer. In a startling report earlier this month, officials said a mother regularly gave heroin to her 12-year-old daughter.

Next Up

Related

7 more charged with heroin trafficking in Twin Ports

Seven people in the Twin Ports were charged with drug trafficking in State District Court in Duluth Friday, following formal charges against seven others Thursday. The six-month operation by the Lake Superior Drug and Violent Crime Task Force began after authorities noticed an increase in heroin trafficking and overdoses in the Twin Ports.