Adrian Peterson is practicing with the Vikings this week for the first time since undergoing surgery to repair his torn meniscus after Minnesota'a Week 2 win over the Green Bay Packers.
In an interview on dashradio.com's, Peterson told St. Paul native DJ Skee, that he plans on practicing this week to get his legs under him.
"My plan, and my vision, is to be back for the Green Bay game," Peterson said. "That’s what I’m envisioning."
It doesn't sound like Peterson will be ready to go when the Vikings host the Indianapolis Colts on Sunday at U.S. Bank Stadium, but Minnesota needs the former MVP back in the lineup. The Vikings' rushing attack ranks dead last in the NFL behind Jerrick McKinnon and Matt Asiata, who are averaging 3.0 and 3.3 yards per carry, respectively.
In Minnesota's six losses they haven't had a running back finish with more than 14 carries and the best single game yardage total is Asiata with 55 yards at Philadelphia. Here's the Vikings' leading rusher in all six losses.
- @ Eagles - Asiata 12 carries, 55 yards
- @ Bears - Asiata 14 carries, 42 yards
- vs. Lions - Hillman 7 carries, 30 yards
- @ Redskins - McKinnon 6 carries, 16 yards
- @ Lions - McKinnon 9 carries, 31 yards
- vs. Cowboys - McKinnon 9 carries, 41 yards
Green Bay is surrendering 96 rush yards per game and tailbacks are averaging 4.0 yards per carry against them.
Although Peterson was limited to just 19 yards on 12 carries in the Week 2 matchup with the Packers he's made a living against them in his career, averaging over 100 yards in 17 career games. On top of that, Peterson has torched the Packers at Lambeau Field. In six eight career games at Lambeau he's failed to score in only two of them, and he's finished with fewer than 97 yards just twice.
- 2015: 19 carries, 67 yards, 1 TD
- 2013: 32 carries, 146 yards, 1 TD
- 2012: 22 carries, 99 yards, 0 TD
- 2012: 21 carries, 210 yards, 1 TD
- 2010: 28 carries, 131 yards, 1 TD
- 2009: 25 carries, 97 yards, 1 TD
- 2008: 19 carries, 103 yards, 1 TD
If the Vikings want to keep their playoff hopes alive, they'll need a steady run game and that means having the former MVP in the backfield.