Parking lots were packed and cash registers were still ringing at many Target stores Saturday as Twin Cities customers wrapped up their holiday shopping during the last weekend before Christmas.
After a cyber attack that compromised 40 million credit and debit cards was made public last week, the Minneapolis-based retailer is offering a 10 percent discount to shoppers through Sunday as a way of saying "I'm sorry."
Although very few cases of actual fraud have been reported, Target CEO Gregg Steinhafel reassured susceptible customers Friday that they will not be financially responsible for fraudulent charges. The retailer is also offering free credit monitoring services to affected customers.
"There were some charges out in Sweden, some from Germany and in France," Aimee Gunderson of Bloomington told KARE 11.
Gunderson, one of millions who used her credit card at U.S. Target stores between Nov. 27 and Dec. 15, received more than 2o text messages in a row from Wells Fargo last week while she was at work, alerting her that her credit card had been declined in several different locations.
Gunderson said a new card was issued and all the unauthorized charges were reversed. KARE 11 says she's been back to Target three times since the data breach.
Saturday shoppers told the Star Tribune that they wouldn't be altering their shopping habits either and even spent more at Target because of the discount.
How the breach occurred is still being investigated, but the information that was stolen has already started to surface.
The same security columnist who broke the news about the massive breach last week also found evidence that some of the stolen credit and debit card numbers are being bought and sold on the black market.
Other scammers are trying to take advantage of the confusion from the fallout. The Wall Street Journal reports fraudulent emails that mimicked Target's warning after the breach were sent to customers as part of a phishing scam.