A man has died and police are looking for a suspect after a shooting in south Minneapolis Wednesday afternoon.
A release from Minneapolis Police Department says officers were called to a shooting in the 2100 block of 3rd Avenue South just after 3:30 p.m. and a man was taken to Hennepin County Medical Center, where he was later pronounced dead.
The Star Tribune reports the deceased was 19 years old and the shooting occurred in an apartment block.
Homicide investigators have been following up on leads after interviewing witnesses, but no suspects have been taken into custody at this stage.
Police have said this does not appear to be a random incident. The victim's identity and cause of death will be released by the Hennepin County Medical Examiner.
Minneapolis police last month announced they would be stepping up patrols in the south of the city following a spate of shootings in April, as they seek to limit the rise in gun crime during the warmer weather.
The most recent shots fired map for Minneapolis shows between April 28-May 4, there were 21 reports of shots fired between Interstate 94 and East 35th Street in south Minneapolis. Of these, one was a confirmed shooting, with the rest either reports of shots heard or shots that activated police ShotSpotter technology.
Anyone with information about the shooting on 3rd Avenue South should text 847 411, entering MPD and the tip, or call the tipline at 612-692-8477.