Hoverboard explodes, causes fire in Wisconsin home

Author:
Updated:
Original:

A Wisconsin family's home was damaged after a charging hoverboard toy blew up and caused a fire.

The River Falls Journal says the hoverboard (the MonoRover brand) was a Christmas gift – one of two the Nesbitts bought for their (very excited) children.

While recharging last Thursday, it suddenly "exploded." The paper then chronicles the quick actions they took to keep everyone safe, which resulted in damage to their office and carpet but kept the fire from spreading.

River Falls Fire Department Chief Scott Nelson confirmed to BringMeTheNews the hoverboard was determined to be the cause of the fire.

He also said that they have not received a hoverboard-related fire call before. The department doesn't have an estimate on the damage.

Dangers of hoverboards

Just Google "hoverboard fire" and you'll see story after story from recent weeks, reporting on fires caused by the gliding toys.

Last week, the Consumer Product Safety Commission said it was looking into "dozens" of fires, and is investigating 13 companies.

And just a couple days ago, U.S. Customs and Border Protection seized 16,000 counterfeit hoverboards with unauthorized batteries fake trademark logos from Chicago.

https://twitter.com/CustomsBorder/status/692403196397010945

A similar operation took place on the Minnesota-Canada border earlier this month, where officials found hundreds of illegal hoverboards.

The exact cause of the fires isn't clear, but Wired suggested last month it's just the quality of the parts, writing:

"They’re cheap, and it makes sense: This is a hot (pun not intended) holiday product, the reputable models are pretty expensive, and more-affordable brands are using cheaper components to lure in shoppers that don’t want to spend a grand or more on a hands-free Segway. Predictably, a slew of cut-rate brands are flooding the market with shoddy scooters made from cheapo components."

"As I have mentioned before, there are no safety standards for these products. That is unacceptable," Consumer Product Safety Commission Chairman Elliot Kaye said in a news release, adding he is urging consumers to "use caution with hoverboards."

Next Up

Willians Astudillo

Twins pitchers decimated: 16 runs, 18 hits, 8 walks ... 4 strikeouts

The White Sox hammered the Twins 16-4 but Astudillo took the mound in the ninth.

Trinity

Girl shot in the head at birthday party 'fighting for her life'

Trinity Ottoson-Smith was struck by a bullet in the head last weekend.

Kelly Kleine

Broncos hire Vikings' Kelly Kleine as highest-ranking woman scout in NFL history

Kleine will reunite in Denver with former Vikings executive George Paton.

Joel Eriksson Ek

Wild looks to exorcise demons from haunted Game 2 history

The Wild have lost nine straight Game 2s entering Tuesday night's tilt with Vegas.

ambulance

Woman who died in crash after car lost tire in Minneapolis is ID'd

The 35-year-old Minneapolis woman was originally from Mahnomen.

Flickr - fishing minnesota 2020 -Lorie Shaull

Curious conservation officer reports from the Minnesota DNR

Gravel thieves, raucous campers and some quick thinking that backfired.

St. Paul police squad

Police 'tactically disengage' from standoff in St. Paul

The incident lasted approximately 2 1/2 hours.

Cane's

Another Raising Cane's set to open in the Twin Cities

This will be the 11th Raising Cane's restaurant in the metro area.

kimberly potter

Trial of former police officer Kimberly Potter starts Dec. 6

Potter is charged in the shooting death of Daunte Wright.

Abbott Northwestern Hospital in Minneapolis.

Health care workers ratify tentative agreement with Allina Health

The union was threatening a strike just two weeks ago.

Related

A hoverboard is being blamed for a house fire that killed 4 dogs

A hoverboard is being blamed for causing a house fire that injured a woman and killed four dogs.

Small bomb explodes outside Planned Parenthood clinic in Wisconsin

Police are trying to find out who planted a small explosive outside a clinic in Grand Chute in eastern Wisconsin. The bomb detonated and damaged an exam room but no one was hurt, Green Bay's NBC 26 reports.