Skip to main content

Hoverboard explodes, causes fire in Wisconsin home

  • Author:
  • Updated:
    Original:

A Wisconsin family's home was damaged after a charging hoverboard toy blew up and caused a fire.

The River Falls Journal says the hoverboard (the MonoRover brand) was a Christmas gift – one of two the Nesbitts bought for their (very excited) children.

While recharging last Thursday, it suddenly "exploded." The paper then chronicles the quick actions they took to keep everyone safe, which resulted in damage to their office and carpet but kept the fire from spreading.

River Falls Fire Department Chief Scott Nelson confirmed to BringMeTheNews the hoverboard was determined to be the cause of the fire.

He also said that they have not received a hoverboard-related fire call before. The department doesn't have an estimate on the damage.

Dangers of hoverboards

Just Google "hoverboard fire" and you'll see story after story from recent weeks, reporting on fires caused by the gliding toys.

Last week, the Consumer Product Safety Commission said it was looking into "dozens" of fires, and is investigating 13 companies.

And just a couple days ago, U.S. Customs and Border Protection seized 16,000 counterfeit hoverboards with unauthorized batteries fake trademark logos from Chicago.

https://twitter.com/CustomsBorder/status/692403196397010945

A similar operation took place on the Minnesota-Canada border earlier this month, where officials found hundreds of illegal hoverboards.

The exact cause of the fires isn't clear, but Wired suggested last month it's just the quality of the parts, writing:

"They’re cheap, and it makes sense: This is a hot (pun not intended) holiday product, the reputable models are pretty expensive, and more-affordable brands are using cheaper components to lure in shoppers that don’t want to spend a grand or more on a hands-free Segway. Predictably, a slew of cut-rate brands are flooding the market with shoddy scooters made from cheapo components."

"As I have mentioned before, there are no safety standards for these products. That is unacceptable," Consumer Product Safety Commission Chairman Elliot Kaye said in a news release, adding he is urging consumers to "use caution with hoverboards."

Next Up

Wild

Wild flip the script, dominate Blackhawks

Ryan Hartman scored twice to earn the first game of a back-to-back.

Hopkins Basketball

Hopkins suffers rare loss to No. 1 ranked Sidwell Friends

The Royals held their own in a battle of the nation's best.

argue-wertman booking photos

Charges: 2 teens responsible for violent carjacking spree across Twin Cities

They face a combined 31 felony counts, all tied to carjackings and related crimes.

rep nolan west mn house

MN rep. says he was 'assaulted' at activist group's public meeting

The Republican said a man grabbed his arms and yanked him from the room.

Screen Shot 2022-01-20 at 12.56.52 PM

What were the 'bizarre things' seen in Minnesota's sky?

The mysterious streaks were not UFOs and they weren't pieces of an asteroid.

icicles, freezing weather, cold weather

Booming noises in the night could be frost quakes

The loud sounds are most likely to happen during the middle of the night.

coronavirus, coronavirus test, covid-19

Free COVID testing site to open in St. Paul for 3 weeks

The federal testing site comes as demand for testing remains high.

Reyel Simmons photo 1 - complaint - crop

MN TikToker accused of faking federal agent life pleads guilty

He told his 10,000 followers he was a Homeland Security agent — authorities say it was a lie.

Wilf

Report: Vikings request second interview with 2 GM candidates

Ryan Poles of the Chiefs and Kwesi Adofo-Mensah of the Browns.

Amaya Battle

Hopkins takes on No. 1 team in the country on ESPNU Friday

The game will feature a pair of top recruits in the Class of 2022.

st. paul federation of educators - teachers

Educators in Minneapolis, St. Paul could strike amid contract negotiations

Teachers and support staff are demanding smaller class sizes, mental health support and better pay.

Related

Small bomb explodes outside Planned Parenthood clinic in Wisconsin

Police are trying to find out who planted a small explosive outside a clinic in Grand Chute in eastern Wisconsin. The bomb detonated and damaged an exam room but no one was hurt, Green Bay's NBC 26 reports.

Fire, firefighters

House explodes in River Falls; extent of injuries unknown

A neighbor reported hearing a boom followed by their door blowing up, a report says.