Police say a 19-year-old Cook, Minnesota, man died Friday morning after placing a firework on top of his head.
KBJR 6 reports that Trevor Reichel, placed a firework on a hard hat he was wearing in the back yard of a home in the 5600 block of Oriole Avenue, Mountain Iron.
The mortar-style firework then went off, seriously injuring him.
According to the Duluth News Tribune, Reichel was transported to Essentia Health Virginia before being airlifted to St. Mary's Medical Center in Duluth, when he was pronounced dead.
The newspaper says the incident is under investigation by the St. Louis County Sheriff's Office.
There have been reports this year of similar accidents happening in other parts of the United States, particularly around 4th of July weekend.
The Washington Post reported that a 22-year-old from Maine died after putting a mortar-style firework on his head and lighting it, and was killed instantly when it exploded.
A few days later, a 30-year-old man died in Texas after setting a firework off from his chest when out fishing with friends, as Newsweek reported.