With two weeks to go, the Minneapolis Marathon may not actually be happening this year unless the organizers can find a new route in time.
The Minneapolis Park and Recreation board rejected the permit for the Team Ortho Foundation to run their marathon on Minneapolis streets on June 5, according to KARE 11. (This is not to be confused with the Twin Cities Marathon, now in its 35th year, which is organized by Twin Cities in Motion.)
A Twitter user posted a screengrab of an email that was forwarded to them:
The letter says they won't be holding their "event in Hennepin County" because of issues created by a mudslide and construction. But it doesn't actually say what's happening to the race.
Marathon organizers could move the race to Dakota County, but the board has not received an updated route yet, KSTP reported.
The Minneapolis Marathon was originally scheduled to start at Theodore Wirth Parkway and end at West River Parkway, but the route included the Franklin Avenue bridge, which is currently under construction.
According to their website, the race is still scheduled to run June 5, includes a half marathon, and is a qualifier for the Boston Marathon.
Team Ortho is also in charge of the Polar Dash and popular Monster Race series.
When Team Ortho's listed phone number was called Friday, it said the line had been disconnected.
Complaints from runners
The Better Business Bureau gave the Team Ortho Foundation nonprofit an "F" rating due to 12 complaints over the past three years.
Many of those complaints are about trouble contacting the organization to get refunds, and races either changing days before the event, or not being as advertised.
Here's one from a Polar Dash in Chicago a few months ago.