Skip to main content

Judge gives Wilfs another chance to keep amount of personal wealth private

  • Author:
  • Updated:
    Original:

A New Jersey Superior Court judge Thursday ruled to keep the amount of Vikings owners Zygi and Mark Wilf's personal wealth private for at least a couple more weeks, the Newark Star-Ledger reports.

The release of the information was expected Friday as part of a court order in the Wilfs' civil fraud case.

But in the ruling Thursday, Superior Court Judge Deanne Wilson agreed to give the Wilfs until Jan. 8 to file an appeal stating why the release of the information about their net worth should be withheld.

The Wilfs in earlier court filings claimed the exposure of their private wealth could risk their children's safety and put them at a competitive disadvantage in their business dealings.

The judge in September ordered the Wilfs to pay more than $84 million in damages to their former business partners Josef Halpern and Ada Reichmann, along with more than $15 million to cover their attorneys’ fees and costs. Wilson said the Wilfs cheated the partners out of revenues from the 764-unit Rachel Gardens apartment complex for more than 20 years.

The Star Tribune said the fine covers compensatory damages, punitive damages and a redistribution of profits.

In court Thursday, Wilson set a “post-judgment” interest rate of 2.25 percent annually on the fine and fees – meaning the Wilfs will have to pay more than $106 million if they lose their appeal. She also ordered the Wilfs to post a bond to make sure the money is available if they are on the losing end of the appeal.

The judge estimated it will take three years to resolve the Wilfs’ appeal, the Ledger said. The trial in the lawsuit – which was filed 21 years ago – took two years to complete.

Next Up

Tettegouche State Park bridge

Trails reopen as waters subside, but bridges damaged at Tettegouche State Park

Water levels on the river have dropped about six to eight feet since Friday.

Keith Harvell

Body pulled from Mississippi River ID'd as missing Elk River man

Keith Harvell had been missing since early last month.

900 W Broadway Ave, Minneapolis, Minnesota - July 2021

2 victims identified in double-fatal north Minneapolis shooting

A 21-year-old man and a 51-year-old man were identified as the people who died at the scene this past weekend.

Proctor football

Former Proctor HS football player pleads guilty to sexual assault of teammate

The case will also remain in juvenile court, with conditions.

Doug Wardlow

Doug Wardlow reneges on promise, will challenge GOP's AG candidate in primary

Wardlow's announcement sparked swift criticism from the MN GOP and the party-endorsed candidate, Jim Schultz.

Flickr - welcome to minnesota sign - Tony Webster

US News '150 Best Places to Live' features 1 from MN, 3 from WI

The latest US News list is for the most populous metro areas only, so no small towns.

tornado

7 tornadoes touched down last week in western MN, ND

Two of the seven were EF-2 level tornadoes, according to the National Weather Service.

covid

Minnesota's COVID-19 update for Tuesday, May 17

72 hours of case data reported over the weekend is included in Tuesday updates.

Stallings surveillance footage - screengrab - crop

City of Minneapolis, Jaleel Stallings reach $1.5M settlement

Although a settlement was made, the city will not admit fault or take any responsibility for the incident as part of the agreement with Stallings.

Kayak

2 rescued after kayaks capsize on Sauk River

Recent heavy rainfall produced a strong currents on the water.

Related