Lakeville student 'fighting for his life' after rescue by roommate - Bring Me The News

Lakeville student 'fighting for his life' after rescue by roommate

Author:
Publish date:

A Lakeville college student attending the University of North Dakota in Grand Forks is in critical condition in a Minneapolis hospital after his roommate pulled him from their burning house early Sunday.

The Grand Forks Herald reports the fire which injured Matt Heisler, 21, was started by food left cooking on the stove and then spread through the kitchen.

WDAZ reports that the Grand Forks Fire Department responded to the house near campus at 2:40 a.m. Heisler's roommate and childhood friend Ryan Nelson, 21, had arrived home after work to find the house on fire.

According to a journal entry by Heisler's family on the Caringbridge website, "Ryan could see the smoke in the windows and immediately ran to the back of the house where Matt’s room is and broke the window by throwing a brick. Ryan climbed inside but when he couldn’t find Matt on his bed he didn’t give up. Ryan climbed back out the window and went back to the front door, forcing his way through heavy smoke on his hands and knees and searched for Matt until he found him,” wrote his parents and sister, Jared and Cheryl Heisler and Casey Heisler in the post. “Ryan carried Matt out of the house and when he realized there was no heart beat, he gave Matt CPR and mouth-to-mouth until he got his heart to start beating again.”

The pair were transported to a Grand Forks Hospital. Heisler was airlifted to Hennepin County Medical Center where he has been in a hyperbaric chamber to treat the effects of smoke inhalation, his family wrote.

“Ever since that he’s been in the medical ICU fighting for his life," his family wrote.

Nelson has been treated for smoke inhalation and released.

Next Up

Related