When the players run off the field at the conclusion of the All-Star game on Tuesday night, many baseball fans will stream out of Target Field to bars ready to serve them into the wee hours, with bar closing pushed back to 4 a.m.
KSTP reports that about 30 downtown spots obtained special permits from the city that will allow them to keep serving alcohol for two hours after the typical 2 a.m. close. The Minnesota Legislature gave Minneapolis bars a special dispensation for game day; the last time the bars got special permission to stay open until 4 a.m. was during the Republican National Convention in 2008.
Meanwhile, bar and restaurant owners are hoping for All-Star profits from the extended hours. Tim Mahoney, owner of The Loon Cafe, told KSTP that he expects a 10 to 15 percent boost in revenue this month related to the game and the festivities leading up to it.
"It's an experiment for the city as well. I mean, if this happens, about the Super Bowls, the Final Fours and stuff, if this 4 a.m. license thing works, and everyone behaves themselves and it goes over well, then we can probably continue to do it," Mahoney said.
The Business Journal carried a list of the downtown bars that will go into extra innings on game day. The list also includes places that are termed "adult venues." They include:
- The 508 Bar & Restaurant—508 First Ave. N.
- Seven Steakhouse Sushi Ultralounge Skybar—700 Hennepin Ave.
- Aqua Nightclub—400 First Ave. N.
- Augie's Cabaret— 424 Hennepin Ave.
- Bar Fly—711 Hennepin Ave.
- Brother's Bar & Grill—430 First Ave. N.
- Brave New Workshop Comedy Theatre—824 Hennepin Ave.
- The Capital Grille--801 Hennepin Ave.
- Cowboy Jacks—126 Fifth St. N.
- Club New York—10 Fifth St. S.
- Devil's Advocate—89 10th St. S.
- Downtown Cabaret—115 Fourth St. S.
- The Executive Lounge—418 Third Ave. N.
- Firelake Grill House—31 Seventh St. S.
- First Avenue—701 First Ave. N.
- The Grand Hotel—615 Second Ave. S.
- Hyatt Regency Minneapolis—1300 Nicollet Mall
- Hubert's Sports Bar—600 First Ave. N.
- Kieran's Irish Pub—85 Sixth St. N.
- The Local—931 Nicollet Mall
- The Loon Cafe—500 First Ave. N.
- Marin Restaurant & Bar—901 Hennepin Ave.
- Millenium Hotel—1313 Nicollet Mall
- The Pourhouse—10 Fifth St. S.
- Rick's Cabaret—300 Third St. S.
- The Seville Club—15 Glenwood Ave.
- The Shout House—650 Hennepin Ave.
- Solera Restaurant & Event Center—900 Hennepin Ave.
- Spades Nightclub—322 First Ave. N.
- Uncle Bucks—26 Fifth St. N.