At a Thursday press conference, a sexual abuse survivor will discuss a civil lawsuit filed Tuesday against the St. Cloud diocese. The suit was initiated to obtain the list of priests in the diocese who have been credibly accused of sexual abuse.
The St. Cloud Times reports that Robert Ethen of Sartell will discuss abuse that he said occurred in the mid-1960s. He will be accompanied by his attorneys Jeff Anderson and Mike Bryant. Anderson has been involved in numerous lawsuits involving the Catholic Church.
KSTP reports Ethen says keeping the list secret is causing him additional harm.
The newspaper reported that a statement from Anderson’s office says the diocese admitted in 2003 there were 26 priests who had been accused of sexually abusing children, but no names have been released. The statement says the lawsuit contends the diocese must release the names because the conduct harmed those who were abused and endangers the public where the accused priests live and work.
In December, lists of priests who have been credibly accused of sexually abusing children were released by the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis, the Winona and Duluth dioceses, and by St. John’s Abbey.