Updated:
Original:

Legislature OKs $4.7M for storm cleanup in 1-day special session

Author:

Minnesota lawmakers adjourned a special one-day session just a few hours after it began Monday, having accomplished the task at hand – approving $4.7 million for 20 counties hit hard by storms earlier this year. The vote was nearly unanimous, 57-0 in the Senate and 127-1 in the House, the Star Tribune reports.

“Minnesotans come together to support one another after natural disasters and the legislature is no exception," Senate Majority Leader Tom Bakk said in a press statement.

The Legislature approved $4.5 million for repair to public infrastructure after June storms brought high winds and flooding to 18 counties in central and southern Minnesota. Lawmakers also agreed to send $219,141 from the general fund to Nobles and Rock counties and the city of Worthington after those areas suffered through April ice storms that toppled trees and knocked out power for days to some residents, the Star Tribune noted.

The Senate passed the bill after less than an hour of debate, and the House followed suit about an hour and a half later, the Pioneer Press reports.

Lawmakers had agreed to limit the scope of the one-day session to disaster relief, but that didn't stop lawmakers from introducing 47 bills, most by Republicans who aim to repeal new taxes approved in the regular session earlier this year, MPR reported.

The only "no" vote on the disaster relief bill was Rep. Alice Hausman, DFL-St. Paul, who was irked that Ramsey did not qualify for money because it fell just short of a damage threshold set by the federal government, the Star Tribune reported.

The federal government is paying for 75 percent of the $18 million cleanup costs from the storms, provided the state would pitch in the other 25 percent, or $4.5 million.

The other counties that will benefit from the money: Benton, Big Stone, Douglas, Faribault, Fillmore, Freeborn, Grant, Hennepin, Houston, McLeod, Morrison, Pope, Sibley, Stearns, Stevens, Swift, Traverse and Wilkin. Cleanup efforts are well under way, the St. Cloud Times notes.

Next Up

moose minnesota usfws - flickr

MN homeowner mistakes large tent for dead moose

They spotted two people on a security camera dragging the "moose" across a driveway.

Flickr - minneapolis police officer close-up belt camera - Tony Webster

What happens if Mpls. public safety question passes? City memo provides answers

The memo was sent to the mayor and council members Tuesday morning.

Wild

COVID-19 hits Minnesota Wild coaching staff

The Wild will be shorthanded for Tuesday night's game in Vancouver.

Anthony Edwards

Ant takes alpha role after bad loss: 'We need to lock the f*** in'

The Timberwolves' rising star was not happy after Monday's loss to the Pelicans.

parker eisinger

Lakeville football player diagnosed with cancer week before playoffs

The tenth-grader was diagnosed with a form of cancer most commonly found in people aged 65 and older.

University of Minnesota peeping tom suspect

Someone keeps trying to film showering women at U of M

The university has received three reports in the past two weeks.

john Fluevog shoes 1

John Fluevog Shoes closes its Uptown Minneapolis store

The brand could return to the Twin Cities one day.

sidecar drink

Sidecar — Town Hall's new cocktail lounge — is officially open in Minneapolis

It's the fifth Town Hall location, but the first to focus on cocktails.

Screen Shot 2019-07-18 at 9.10.30 AM

Here's where DFLers stand on Minneapolis' public safety ballot question

The question would create a Department of Public Safety and remove some requirements.

Arthur Kollie

Man pleads guilty to brutal murder of 14-year-old girl in Fargo

The 14-year-old girl was the victim of a random attack outside a Fargo strip mall.

Minneapolis Mayoral Candidates 2021 - jacob frey sheila nezhad kate knuth

Here's who has endorsed the frontrunners for Minneapolis mayor

Politicians and community groups are voicing their opinions.

Related