A southern Minnesota man was arrested Saturday for allegedly making a false report about receiving a bomb threat for this weekend's Mankato Marathon.
The suspect called 911 Friday night and told the Nicollet County Sheriff's office that he had received an anonymous phone call saying four bombs had been placed along the route of the Sunday marathon, according to a news release from the city of Mankato.
Authorities worked with the caller's phone provider and determined that he had not received any such threatening call.
He was arrested on Saturday and is being held in the Nicollet County jail on probable cause of making terroristic threats, which is a felony. He is expected to be charged Monday, according to the Mankato Free Press.
Mankato Department of Public Safety Director Todd Miller said at a news conference that department believes the race route is safe, the Associated Press reports.
But authorities are taking extra precautions, according to the news release.
– Explosive detection dogs from the Minneapolis-St. Paul airport walked the marathon route Saturday afternoon
– Extra security is being employed overnight along the route, start and finish areas
– Additional public safety staff will be available during the race to watch for possible suspicious behavior
The CEO of Final Stretch, the race-management company, said the marathon will continue as scheduled.
"We ... are working diligently with public safety officials to ensure our runners have a great race," said Mark Bongers, according to the city's release.
The race begins Sunday morning and is expected to draw 5,000 runners and 15,000 spectators.