Skip to main content

Man dead, 8 taken to hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning

The man's wife and first responders were sickened, too.
  • Author:
  • Updated:
    Original:

A man has died and his wife, along with emergency responders, were taken to the hospital after a carbon monoxide leak in west-central Minnesota.

Authorities were called to the home in rural Vergas in Otter Tail County on Monday evening when a woman came home and found her 67-year-old husband was not breathing.

The man could not be revived and was pronounced dead, a news release from the Otter Tail County Sheriff's Office says.

But while at the scene, the man's wife and two Perham EMS workers showed signs of suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning and had to be airlifted to Hennepin County Medical Center for treatment.

HCMC is equipped with a hyperbaric chamber, the Brainard Dispatch reports, which is needed to treat patients with carbon monoxide poisoning.

Two firefighters and two Sheriff's deputies also had to be treated at Perham Hospital for their exposure to the deadly gas, the sheriff's office said, and Perham Health told Valley News Live another Perham paramedic was treated for carbon monoxide exposure but didn't need to go to HCMC.

Those brought to the hospital in Perham were released around midnight.

Officials haven't said what could have caused the carbon monoxide leak, but the Minnesota Health Department has a guide on some of the most common sources of carbon monoxide in the home, which can include: gas heaters and stoves; power generators; fire places; and furnaces or boilers.

Around 500 people in the U.S. die each year from unintentional CO poisoning, which is hard to detect as it's odorless and early symptoms are similar to that of the flu, the agency says, noting that incidents of CO poisoning are often higher during the winter months.

CO poisoning was responsible for 59 deaths in Minnesota in the five years between 2010-2014, according to Minnesota Department of Health stats.

Next Up

Xcel Energy Center

NHL announces make-up dates for Wild postponements

The Wild will play 40 games in the final 77 days of the regular season.

the mayo clinic - edit

Group says Mayo should be 'severely punished' over research puppy's death

The puppy died two days after undergoing a procedure at a Mayo research facility.

FLickr - minneapolis police - Tony Webster - Feb 2020 - crop

Charges: Man kidnapped woman, sexually assaulted her at gunpoint

The suspect faces three separate felony charges.

mn state capitol january 17 2021

St. Cloud 'Boogaloo Boi' who discussed attack on MN Capitol gets 2 years

He was charged with illegally possessing a machine gun.

Chris Smith

Gophers add All-Ivy League D-tackle from Harvard

Chris Smith will be eligible immediately as a graduate transfer.

school bus

High school basketball team returns from game to find bus driver dead

Members of the girls team returned to the bus to find the driver unresponsive.

covid-19 testing site sign

Minnesota AG sues COVID testing site, alleging it sent false results

Sometimes the company didn't send people their results at all, the lawsuit alleges.

optum headquarters chad davis wikimedia commons

UnitedHealth Group says it made $287B last year, $24B of it profit

The corporation's Optum business represented a significant chunk of that total.

covid

Omicron may have already peaked in Minnesota

Reported cases lag what's happening in real time, so the newly reported cases over the next week or so will still be very high.

MnDot snow plow cam I-35 12-10-21

MnDOT reveals 50 snowplow name finalists

Voting is open through Wednesday, Jan. 26.

gov tim walz

Walz's $2.7B infrastructure plan includes $940M for climate projects

Projects will help Minnesota prevent or adapt to climate change and mitigate its impacts, the governor says.

Related

carbon monoxide

Man, dog die in suspected carbon monoxide poisoning

The discovery was made in northeastern Minnesota.

Here are the warning signs for carbon monoxide poisoning

10 people in St. Paul were hospitalized with CO poisoning on New Year's Day.

carbon monoxide

Six hospitalized with CO poisoning in St. Paul

Children were among those requiring treatment.

ambulance

8 people in Shakopee taken to hospital for CO poisoning

The family called 911 after three people were feeling sick.