Man found guilty in struggle with officer where gun went off - Bring Me The News

Man found guilty in struggle with officer where gun went off

Author:
Publish date:

A man authorities say got into an early-morning struggle with a police officer, during which the cop's gun fired, is now facing prison time.

Lance Carr was convicted of first-degree assault by a jury Wednesday, the Hennepin County Attorney's Office said.

It came from a Nov. 29 incident, when authorities say Brooklyn Park police officer Sean Hyman approached Carr's vehicle on a noise complaint, and learned the 25-year-old had a felony warrant for his arrest.

When Hyman tried to put handcuffs on Carr, he turned and swung at the officer, according to the attorney's office. Carr missed, but the two became locked together and fell to the ground, struggling with each other for about three minutes.

The attorney's office said Carr was going for the officer's gun, while Hyman was attempting to keep it in the holster. During the struggle, the weapon fired but it didn't hit anyone.

Other officers were eventually able to subdue Carr, according to the news release. The incident was captured on dashcam and shown to the jury.

The attorney's office will ask for a 10-year prison sentence for Carr during a hearing next month. Carr's lawyer had argued the charge was too severe and should have been fourth-degree assault, according to the county attorney's office.

Incidents between police officers and suspects

Being a police officer was the 14th most dangerous job in America from 2007-2013, Bloomberg says, with nearly 16 deaths for every 100,000 officers employed. They’re also the second most likely to die from violence or homicide (behind taxi drivers).

In addition, 41 officers were killed "feloniously" (which means by some sort of criminal activity) in the line of duty last year, the FBI announced this week, down from 51 officers in 2014.

Meanwhile, the number of people fatally shot by police in the U.S. last year was 990, according to the Washington Post.

Of those, 12 occurred in Minnesota. Eight of the victims were white, three black, and one “other.” In nine cases the threat level was determined to be “attack in progress,” and seven suspects were armed with a deadly weapon.

Related

Next Up