Skip to main content

Maple Grove students hospitalized with burns suffered during class

Four students at Maple Grove Junior High were hospitalized Thursday morning after a failed science experiment involving flammable gas. The students suffered burns ranging from mild to severe.
  • Author:
  • Updated:
    Original:

Four students at Maple Grove Junior High were hospitalized Thursday morning after a failed science experiment involving flammable gas. The students suffered burns ranging from mild to severe. No other students in the class were injured.

Next Up

Brave New Comedy Workshop in downtown Minneapolis.

Brave New Workshop cancels shows due to COVID-19 cases

The shows were scheduled for Friday and Saturday at the Brave New Workshop Comedy Theatre.

Austin Retterath

Body of missing U of M student found in Mississippi River

Austin Retterath was last seen alive in the morning hours of May 8.

"Love" mural seen in St. Paul.

Summer mural events to bring together community, shine light on MN artists

The 2022 Chroma Zone Mural & Art Festival will take place this weekend in St. Paul's Creative Enterprise Zone, with ensuing events happening this summer.

14869-Manitou-Road-NE-Prior-Lake-MN-55372-6110268-image37

Gallery: Remodeled lakeside home in Prior Lake on market for $2.8M

It offers privacy at the end of a dead-end road fronting onto Lower Prior Lake.

golden valley police department

Carjacking outside ice arena in Golden Valley under investigation

Golden Valley PD confirmed it received a report of a carjacking Monday evening.

Growlers

Signs that MN Legislature could move to loosen liquor laws

A provision was approved by a legislature committee on Thursday but still awaits a final decision from the House and Senate.

US Bank Stadium

U.S. Bank Stadium looking to hire 400 part-time workers

A hiring fair will be held for the positions.

Screen Shot 2022-05-20 at 8.55.56 AM

Officials looking for man last seen leaving Hudson home

David Mckay, 67, was last seen in Hudson Thursday morning.

covid

'Hyper-contagious' BA.4, BA.5 COVID variants confirmed in MN

Omicron continues to evolve into a more transmissible virus.

covid-19, coronavirus

Minnesota's COVID-19 update for Friday, May 20

The latest data shows there are 442 people with COVID hospitalized in Minnesota.

Related

School changes policy after Maple Grove students burned

KARE-11 says the Osseo School District has changed their science experiment policy a day after a chemical explosion during a class demonstration left four Maple Grove Middle School students with severe burns.

Teacher on leave after fire that hurt four students

A science teacher at Maple Grove Junior High has been placed on leave after an experiment went haywire and left four students with mild to severe burns. KARE 11 says the teacher will be on leave with pay until the district can wrap up its investigation.

Burned student recalls science experiment gone awry

A 15-year-old student at Maple Grove Junior High School was taking notes while his science teacher conducted an experiment. The next thing he knew, he was burning. Fox 9 says the class was learning about methanol, a flammable substance, when a container exploded.

Changes made after science-class accident

The Osseo School District is making changes to its teacher-led science demonstrations after four students were injured in a classroom accident at Maple Grove Junior High. In a 71-page report, the district says the methanol "flash bottle" demonstration will not be allowed pending further review. It also calls for a more stringent approval process for science demonstrations and a detailed list of approved demonstrations.

Maple Grove police investigate brawl on high school soccer field

Maple Grove police are looking into a high school soccer game that turned ugly Thursday night. The sectional championship between Totino-Grace and Prairie Seeds Academy ended with multiple punches thrown between players, leaving one student injured.

Maple Grove hunter dies after catching fire

The 84-year-old's clothing caught fire after trying to light a propane heater in his deer stand. Arthur Joseph Knafla fell from the stand in rural St. Louis County after his clothes began burning.