It's president and CEO says the Mayo Clinic is considering where to spend $3 billion to expand its facilities.
And if Minnesota decides not to spend half-a-billion dollars on improvements in the Rochester area, Dr. John Noseworthy tells the Star Tribune Mayo will have to rethink where it spends that money. Noseworthy says “there are 49 states that would like us to invest in them. That’s the truth.”
Mayo, already Minnesota's largest private employer, expects its 20-year expansion plan would leverage billions of dollars in private investment and has estimated it would generate 45,000 new jobs. Noseworthy told MinnPost Tuesday that Mayo's proposal "is the right thing for Minnesota. All boats will rise."
The plan's prospects at the Legislature remain uncertain, though. Bloomington DFLer Ann Lenczewski, who chairs the House Taxes Committee, suggested last week that Rochester and Olmsted County should pay for some of the infrastructure improvements through local taxes.
Since Mayo first unveiled its "Destination Medical Center" plan in late January, Gov. Dayton has been generally supportive but has avoided endorsing any specific funding proposal. MPR reported that Dayton maintained that lack of specificity at a public meeting in Rochester last week, saying the Legislature's questions were understandable but expressing confidence Mayo would get support from the Capitol.