For the first time, Rochester's Mayo Clinic has been ranked the No. 1 hospital by U.S. News & World Report in its annual rankings for 2014.
The yearly analysis looks at the best medical centers for patients with life-threatening or rare conditions. The report analyzes factors that include patient survival rates, adequate nursing staff, reputation with specialist physicians and patient safety.
The report says it looked at nearly 5,000 medical centers in the U.S., spanning 16 medical specialties from cancer to urology. Hospitals with very high scores in at least six specialties earned a spot on the honor roll – 17 of the nation's hospitals made the list this year.
The Mayo Clinic claimed the top spot with 29 points, edging out Massachusetts General Hospital, which had 28 points, and Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, Maryland, which had 26 points.
This year, Mayo ranked nationally in 15 adult and nine pediatric specialties, the report says. The hospital was among 144 facilities, or just 3 percent of the hospitals analyzed for the rankings, to be ranked in one or more of the 16 specialties.
Mayo clinic ranked No. 1 in eight adult specialties, including: diabetes and endocrinology; ear, nose and throat; gastroenterology and GI surgery; geriatrics; gynecology; nephrology; neurology and neurosurgery; and pulmonology. For a complete breakdown, click here.
Mayo was also one of 89 hospitals to be ranked in at least one of 10 specialties in this year's Best Children's Hospitals report.
“We have a deep commitment to delivering high-value health care that best meets patients' needs. We owe our success to truly dedicated staff that provide a seamless patient experience and the care that each individual needs,” Mayo Clinic President and CEO John Noseworthy, M.D. said in a news release.
The report also breaks down the best hospitals in the Twin Cities:
1. Abbott Northwestern Hospital in Minneapolis
2. Mercy Hospital in Coon Rapids
3. University of Minnesota Medical Center in Minneapolis
4. North Memorial Hospital in Robbinsdale, tied with St. John's Hospital in St. Paul
6. Fairview Southdale Hospital in Edina, tied with Unity Hospital in Fridley
8. Regions Hospital in St. Paul
9. Hennepin County Medical Center in Minneapolis, tied with Woodwinds Health Campus in Woodbury
11. Park Nicollet Methodist Hospital in St. Louis Park
12. St. Joseph's Hospital in St. Paul