Skip to main content

Minn. Supreme Court upholds priest's conviction in sexual misconduct case

  • Author:
  • Updated:
    Original:

A priest convicted of criminal sexual conduct will not get a new trial, according to a Minnesota Supreme Court ruling released Wednesday.

The state's high court says Rev. Christopher Wenthe, 49, formerly affiliated with Nativity of Our Lord in St. Paul, violated the state's clergy sex statute when he had a sexual relationship with a 21-year-old female parishoner, the Pioneer Press reports.

The newspaper says the law makes it a felony for a priest to have sexual contact with anyone who is seeking or receiving spiritual advice or comfort in private.

Wenth admitted during his trial in Ramsey County District Court to having a relationship with the woman over 18 months. The victim testified that she confided in Wenthe about her struggles with an eating disorder and previous sexual abuse, but the priest maintained that sexual conduct did not occur while the woman was seeking spiritual aid.

In 2011, a jury found Wenthe guilty of third-degree criminal sexual conduct. He was sentenced to a year in the Ramsey County workhouse and was released early for good behavior.

Last year, the Minnesota Court of Appeals overturned Wenthe's conviction, saying it was based on evidence entangle in matters of religion, which violates the First Amendment separating church and state. The case was sent back to district court, prompting the Ramsey County attorney to ask the state Supreme Court to rule.

The Star Tribune said the case will go back to the state appellate court for issues that weren't addressed when Wenthe was granted a new trial such as whether Wenthe knew he was breaking the law when he engaged in the relationship.

Next Up

Edina High School

After Homecoming brawl, non-Edina students barred from football games

The school district also implemented increased security measures for football games in response to the fight.

Screen Shot 2022-09-21 at 6.02.37 PM

Charges: Serial trespasser accused of making U of M bomb threat

Ahmed Mohamed Umar has been charged with one count of threats of violence with explosives or an incendiary device.

Minneapolis police

Man, police officer involved in fatal Minneapolis incident identified

A witness says the man who exchanged gunfire with police shot himself.

Johnathan Anderl

Minneapolis police appeal to find missing 39-year-old man

The man, who has autism, was last seen near the MacPhail Center for Music.

Screen Shot 2022-09-22 at 3.06.25 PM

Minneapolis rolls out new crime-reducing plan, but provides little detail

"Operation Endeavor" is a collaboration between multiple agencies.

Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 11.00.01 AM

Walz hopes for investigation into judge in Feeding Our Future case

The governor said he was "speechless" by the judge's initial decision.

ABC ramps-Nov2020-039-small

Commuter alert: Parking in Minneapolis just got cheaper!

FlexPass offers flexible parking downtown at Ramp A

Sars-CoV-2

Omicron subvariants BA.4.6, BA.2.75.2 drawing attention in MN

Health officials in Minnesota are paying special attention to BA.4.6.

Ambulance Hennepin Healthcare

Man dies after shooting in south Minneapolis

The shooting was reported at 9:20 a.m.

Screen Shot 2022-09-22 at 12.48.13 PM

Texas company buys Roseville's Har Mar Mall for $50 million

The mall is home to a Cub Foods and a Burlington, among other stores.

Related