The Minneapolis police officers involved in the fatal shooting of Jamar Clark on Sunday morning have been identified.
Mark Ringgenberg and Dustin Schwarze have both been officers for seven years, including 13 months with the Minneapolis Police Department, and were involved in the shooting, the Minnesota Department of Public Safety said Wednesday.
Ringgenberg previously worked for police departments in Maple Grove and San Diego, California, and Schwarze worked for departments in Richfield and Brooklyn Park, the Star Tribune says.
Additional details on the officers, including who fired their weapon, were not released.
The officers had met with the state Bureau of Criminal Apprehension Tuesday night to give their account of the shooting, Minneapolis Police Union President Lt. Bob Kroll told The Associated Press. Both officers are on paid administrative leave, which is standard procedure, the BCA says.
The Hennepin County Medical Examiner confirmed Tuesday the 24-year-old, who died from his injuries on Monday evening, was shot in the head before 1 a.m. Sunday.
Police say Clark interfered with paramedics trying to help a victim he is suspected of assaulting on Sunday, and in the ensuing struggle was shot by an officer.
His death sparked major protests outside the Fourth Precinct police station and on Interstate 94 by Black Lives Matter activists who claim he was handcuffed and unarmed when he was shot.
The BCA has confirmed Clark was unarmed at the time and said handcuffs were recovered from the scene, but it is investigating whether they were on Clark’s body at the time of the shooting.
The head of the Minneapolis Police Union told the Star Tribune Wednesday that Clark was attempting to disarm one of the officers and was not handcuffed when police shot him.
Community activists have called for the officers names and video of the shooting be released, and said they will remain at the police station until those demands are met. Activists have also launched a petition, demanding investigators release the tapes, something officials said they won't do until the investigation is complete.
"This situation begs for explanation," Urban League Interim CEO Steven Belton said, MPR News reports. "The family deserves answers. They deserve clarity. They deserve closure but most of all they deserve justice."
The Urban League has also invited witnesses who are "unwilling or afraid" to speak to investigators to come to its office to make a statement before a lawyer, the news station says.
The BCA is investigating the shooting, and once it is complete it will turn its findings over to the Hennepin County Attorney's Office for review. The Department of Justice is also investigating the shooting, at the request of the city.