Minnesota boy dies from drug-resistant superbug at Maryland hospital - Bring Me The News

Minnesota boy dies from drug-resistant superbug at Maryland hospital

A boy from Minnesota is the seventh victim of a deadly superbug outbreak that began at a Maryland hospital. The Washington Post reports the seriously ill boy suffered arrived at the hospital after complications arrose from a bone marrow transplant last year. The antibiotic-resistant strain of the bacterium Klebsiella pneumoniae arrived at the hospital last fall, but the boy's infection was the first that has shown up since January.
Author:
Publish date:

A boy from Minnesota is the seventh victim of a deadly superbug outbreak that began at a Maryland hospital. The Washington Post reports the seriously ill boy suffered arrived at the hospital after complications arrose from a bone marrow transplant last year. The antibiotic-resistant strain of the bacterium Klebsiella pneumoniae arrived at the hospital last fall, but the boy's infection was the first that has shown up since January.

Next Up

Related

Minnesota boy is 7th victim of superbug at NIH

A deadly, drug-resistant superbug outbreak that first appeared last summer at the National Institutes of Health Clinical Center in Bethesda, Md., claimed its seventh victim Sept. 7 – a seriously ill boy from Minnesota, the Washington Post reports. The boy was the 19th patient at the research hospital to contract an antibiotic-resistant strain of the bacterium Klebsiella pneumoniae.

Chaska teen shot by arrow dies at hospital

A 16-year-old Chaska boy shot in the head with an arrow by his best friend died at the hospital Monday night. Spencer Swanson was riding his bike to his best friend's house in Chaska Saturday when he was shot by the arrow.

3-year-old, marrow donor celebrate boy's 're-birthday'

When he was 1 year old, a bone marrow donation from a stranger helped save the life of Caleb Nord. Donor Missy Slauter, of Michigan, had never met the boy until Saturday. They visited to be part of Caleb’s “re-birthday" – the anniversary of the day he received his transplant.

Duluth lawmaker at center of sex scandal released from hospital

DFL State Rep. Kerry Gauthier was hospitalized with breathing difficulty last week, soon after acknowledging to police he'd had a sexual encounter with a 17-year-old boy at a highway rest stop near Duluth. Gauthier and the teen say the sex was consensual and the boy lied about his age. The St. Louis County attorney decided against prosecuting Gauthier, but a fellow DFLer has started a write-in campaign for his legislative seat.

Last of 4 Wis. spa shooting victims released from hospital

The last of the four women injured in a deadly shooting in a Brookfield, Wis., spa has been released from the hospital. The women, who were not identified, were injured Oct. 20 when Radcliffe Franklin Haughton opened fire at the Azana Spa and Salon. The gunman's estranged wife and two of her co-workers died in the attack, and the gunman later died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Young Minnesota boy continues to improve after tragic sailboat accident

The Bemidji Pioneer reports Isaiah Risland is showing positive signs at Children's Hospital in Minneapolis. The 8-year-old boy was sailing with his dad and two brothers when their boat sank into the frigid Clearwater Lake in northern Minnesota April 6. Isaiah's two brothers died from hypothermia. They'll be laid to rest Tuesday. Benefits are also planned to help the family with medical costs.

Gophers Coach Kill released from hospital

Minnesota football coach Jerry Kill was released from the hospital Thursday, five days after suffering a seizure during the Gophers' home opener against New Mexico State. Quoting team doctor Pat Smith, Fox Sports North reports Kill is in good spirits and eager to get back to work.

Minnesotan linked to Salmonella outbreak from peanut butter

The Minnesota Department of Health says a person from Minnesota has been infected with the outbreak strain of Salmonella linked to Trader Joe's peanut butter. An adult from the Twin Cities metro area reported eating the peanut butter in July before being hospitalized for Salmonella and has since recovered.