Minnesota is home to dozens of world records, and now it can add largest mustache to the list – once it's verified by Guinness World Records officials.
The Udermanns wanted to create something that engaged the public and brought attention to the city of Chaska, WCCO reports. And since it was installed over the summer, the nearly 12-foot wide, bright red, handlebar mustache has been gaining a lot of attention.
The plastic mustache, which took more than 300 hours to print on a 3D printer, measures 11.5 feet wide, 3 feet tall and 22 inches deep, according to a website dedicated to the 'stache. And the Udermanns are in the process of getting the mustache verified as the largest in the world by the Guinness World Records, the Chaska Herald reported.
"We've done a fair amount of research," Matthew Udermann told the paper. "In terms of cubic square feet, it's the largest we've found."
The Guinness World Record for "longest mustache" comes in at 14 feet and belongs to Ram Singh Chauhan of India, the Guinness World Record website shows. There doesn't appear to be a category for world's largest mustache, however.
The Udermanns chose a mustache because of the connection it has to the city's history: The brickyard workers had handlebar mustaches, Matthew Udermann told the Chaska Herald.
Right now, the mustache is set up in the Udermanns' yard, but they hope to find a more permanent, high-traffic place in the city. But until then, the public is invited to take pictures in front of the 'stache and they're encouraged to share the photo on social media.
Over the next few weeks, the mustache will also be making several appearances around the Twin Cities. Find out where it'll be here.
Other world records in Minnesota
This isn't Minnesota's only world record. In fact, it's not even the state's only mustache record.
The largest gathering of men with mustaches was organized by KARE 11 in 2010. The "Movember" event saw 1,131 participants gather at the Xcel Energy Center to raise awareness for men's health and prostate cancer.
Other world record titles in Minnesota include:
- Largest ball of paper: The Minnesota Pollution Control Agency created the giant ball of paper, that stood 9 feet, 7 inches tall, measuring 32.2 feet in circumference, and weighing in at 426 pounds.
- Largest hamburger: The 2,014-pound burger was prepared by Black Bear Casino Resort in Carlton, on Sept. 2, 2012.
- Longest TV commercial: The 13 hour, 5 minute, 11 second Arby's commercial aired on My9 in Duluth from May 24-25, 2014.
- Largest collection of cow-related items: The 15,144 cow items are owned by Ruth Klossner of Lafayette, Minnesota.
- Largest gathering of zombies: 15,458 people attended the Zombie Pub Crawl in Minneapolis last October.
Explore more world records set in Minnesota here by searching "Minnesota".