Minnesota gets $1M to strengthen response to food-borne outbreaks

The funding from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration comes in the wake of several food recalls -- ranging from ground turkey meat to cantaloupes. The money will be put towards training and developing an action plan to be used during food safety events.
Author:
Publish date:

The funding from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration comes in the wake of several food recalls -- ranging from ground turkey meat to cantaloupes. The money will be put towards training and developing an action plan to be used during food safety events.

Next Up

Related

Spam (the food) celebrates milestone

Minnesota's famous spiced canned meat celebrated a milestone Friday -- it's been 75 years since the the "SPAM" trademark was registered by the Hormel Foods Corp. “The fact that recipes from all around the world have been passed down from generation to generation is a testament to the relevancy of the Spam brand,” Nicole Behne, Spam brand product manager, says.

Cantaloupe outbreak could be deadliest in a decade

The Centers for Disease Control says at least 55 other people have gotten sick from eating the contaminated fruit which has been recalled in Minnesota and 16 other states. No deaths or illnesses have been reported in Minnesota.

25 historic sites in Minnesota compete for $1M

The public can vote for their favorite historic places -- like the Basilica, Ft. Snelling and the State Fair Grandstand -- on Facebook through next month. The winner will be awarded $1 million in grants from the Partners in Preservation.

Deadly mosquito-borne virus found in northeastern Minnesota

The Eastern Equine Encephalitis Virus had not been found in Minnesota until recently. The virus can be fatal to humans, as well as wildlife. Its mortality leads one veterinarian to call it "the evil twin sister of West Nile Virus." Officials are studying whether the virus might be related to the disappearance of moose from the region.

CDC: 8 dead in listeria outbreak traced to cantaloupes

The Centers for Disease Control says at least 55 other people have gotten sick from eating the contaminated fruit from Colorado-based grower Jensen Farms. The company's recalled cantaloupes shipped to stores earlier this month in Minnesota and 16 other states.