Minnesota group's half-million meals among aid headed to Philippines

Author:
Updated:
Original:

A Minnesota relief agency says it has already sent half-a-million dehydrated meals to typhoon survivors in the Philippines and is preparing another 2.5 million.

WCCO reports Feed My Starving Children is working with three other Christian humanitarian groups that have networks in the Philippines. Feed My Starving Children's director of international programs says the food crisis in the country will last for months. In addition to the millions of people left homeless by the storm, the typhoon also wiped out the rice and coconut crops that are vital to the Philippines, Matt Muraski says.

The reports from the islands are grim. The Associated Press describes bloated corpses littering the city of Tacloban as survivors scrounge for food and plead for a spot on one of the airplanes leaving the area. Reporters say four days after the typhoon struck little assistance has arrived, calling it a trickle.

Information about survivors is similarly slow to emerge. Filipino-Americans in Minnesota are anxiously awaiting word from family members. One of those is Maria Lazaro-Elemos of Rochester. She told KAAL there were typically 20 to 40 storms or typhoons per year when she was growing up in the Philippines. But none had the power of Typhoon Haiyan.

KSTP spoke with the pastor of the Filipino American Christian Church in Mounds View, Roberto Atienza, who has a number of aunts, uncles, and cousins in Tacloban, where casualties have been estimated at 10,000.

Next Up

Mats Zuccarello

Wild dominate Coyotes with 3-goal first period

The Wild rebounded after getting swept in Vegas.

Guy Fieri

MN brewpub to make 2nd appearance on 'Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives'

In other words, Guy Fieri is returning to the Twin Cities.

Screen Shot 2020-06-15 at 7.11.05 AM

St. Cloud teen charged with raping girl in high school bathroom

Police say it happened during a late 2019 basketball game.

Mark_Pavelich

Reports: 'Miracle on Ice' star Mark Pavelich found dead at treatment facility

The 63-year-old had been ordered to undergo psychiatric care.

hennepin county government center fencing minneapolis chauvin

Minneapolis, Hennepin County spending $1M on barricades, fencing for Chauvin trial

Minneapolis hopes to be reimbursed for fortification costs by the state if it passes the proposed SAFE Account.

police lights

Police: 3 Minnesotans made fake report to divert SD police away drug investigation

Three people from Detroit Lakes are facing charges, with two of the men involved accused of making a false report of gunmen entering a local business.

Drive-up vaccine

HealthPartners opens drive-up COVID vaccine site

The healthcare provider says it's the first drive-up vaccination site in the state.

derek chauvin

Appeals court: Judge must reconsider third-degree murder charge against Chauvin

The appeals court's recent decision on a different officer-involved shooting case is precedent, it said.

covid-19, vaccine

New data reveals Minnesotans getting COVID vaccines are disproportionately white

The Minnesota Department of Health revealed race and ethnicity vaccine data on Friday.

Related