Skip to main content

Minnesota is not helping ND authorities with the Standing Rock protests anymore

The last of the Minnesota deputies left Monday morning, a North Dakota spokesperson said.

There are no more Minnesota deputies in North Dakota helping authorities with the Standing Rock protests.

The sheriff's office for Anoka, Hennepin and Washington counties sent more than three dozen personnel, along with some vehicles, to the Cannon Ball area as part of an emergency assistance request called EMAC.

They arrived last week and, after meeting the terms of their agreement, were released to return to Minnesota, Morton County Sheriff's Department spokesperson Rob Keller told GoMN. The last of the Minnesota deputies left Monday morning, he added.

They were released because the terms of that EMAC agreement had been met, Keller said, though declined to offer more details.

Protests at the Standing Rock Sioux reservation have been going on for months, as "water protectors" push back against the construction of a pipeline that would carry crude oil past their land and water.

The backlash

People were not happy with Minnesota sending resources to Standing Rock. North Dakota authorities have arrested morethan 200 people in the past 10 days, as clashes between demonstrators and officers turned violent.

Demonstrators have been hit with rubber bullets and tear gas, deployed by heavily-equipped officers. Meanwhile protesters have thrown molotov cocktails, rocks and other debris at officers – one was recently charged with attempted murder.

In Minnesota, some residents had an issue with taxpayer-funded agencies being part of the aggressive response to the weeks-long protest.

Hennepin the focus, but more agencies took part

The Hennepin County Sheriff's Office bore the brunt of the negative feedback. They were seen in this Facebook video from North Dakota that was shared more than 63,000 times, and were also the target of a big rally and march in Minneapolis Friday, demanding the deputies be withdrawn.

Lt. Gov. Tina Smith even called them out on Facebook (which the sheriff's office responded to here).

And a group of 25 lawmakers sent a letter to Hennepin County Sheriff Rich Stanek, saying they were concerned by things seen by witnesses and reported in the news. Those lawmakers met with Stanek Tuesday (a meeting which the office declined to comment on).

But there were two other sheriff's offices that participated:

The Anoka County Sheriff's Office sent six deputies and two vehicles, Sommer told GoMN. All returned Sunday, Oct. 30.

And the Washington County Sheriff's Office sent five deputies and two vehicles, Sheriff William Hutton told GoMN. They're all back home now as well.

The Hennepin County Sheriff's Office, in a statement, said all its deputies have been released since the EMAC mission has been completed. The office declined to give specifics on numbers, though the Associated Press reported there were 30 deputies from the office deployed.

Under the EMAC agreement, which was approved in every single U.S. state, the state that requests help has to pay back the costs for everything.

Morton County had initially said six states responded to the EMAC request: Wisconsin, South Dakota, Minnesota, Wyoming, Indiana and Nebraska.

Next Up

snow

NWS: 'Safe to say' more active weather is ahead

Three rounds of light snow around Minnesota before more substantial precipitation becomes a possibility.

7F060B54-5776-4E1A-A42C-F36C22FAF493

Hero dad who stopped carjacker who fled with his kids identified

A GoFundMe has been set up to support Derek Gotchie and his family following the incident.

Screen Shot 2022-12-03 at 4.35.18 PM

Watch: New London-Spicer wins 3A championship on incredible walk-off TD

New London-Spicer defeated the unbeaten Dilworth-Glyndon-Felton in remarkable circumstances.

MoorheadMurderSuspect

Suspect in woman's killing in Moorhead is arrested

James Kollie Jr. was arrested Friday evening.

Jennifer Carnahan

Former chair Jennifer Carnahan sues Minnesota GOP, which is suing her back

Carnahan stepped down under a cloud of controversy in August 2021.

Minneapolis Fire Department

One injured after leaping from burning vacant building in Minneapolis

Authorities say the building is known to be used by squatters.

ambulance

Head-on crash leaves two drivers dead in southeastern Minnesota

The crash happened in Houston County just before 4 p.m. Friday.

ConellHarris

Charges: Armed man made death threats at Minneapolis LGBTQ bar

The man allegedly used derogatory terms while threatening to kill someone.

image

FDA pulls last COVID-19 monoclonal antibody treatment as new variants rise

A therapy used to treat more than 11,000 Minnesotans is no longer authorized amid a surge in the latest COVID-19 variants.

Austin Robert LeClaire

Charges: Plymouth man shot girlfriend in head after birthday party

The 23-year-old victim is in critical condition as of Friday.

image

State announces $2.5M in grants for child care providers

Child care providers in roughly a dozen communities will receive funds to help grow the supply of affordable, quality child care.

Related

Violent clashes at Standing Rock protests being looked at by a grand jury

21-year-old Sophia Wilanksy suffered a gruesome arm injury while at the protests.

Sorting out which Minnesota agencies are helping at ND pipeline protests – and why

One of the big questions: Why are Minnesota law enforcement agencies at the scene of the North Dakota protest?

It 'blew the bone out of her arm,' Standing Rock protester's dad says

21-year-old Sophia Wilansky's arm was shredded while in Standing Rock.

Standing Rock protesters have been ordered to leave immediately

"These persons are ordered to leave the evacuation area immediately, and are further ordered not to return to the evacuation area."

More protesters arrested at Standing Rock, as drilling equipment moves into place

The pipeline company said this week it's moving drilling equipment to Lake Oahe.

Standing Rock calls pipeline ruling a victory – but will DAPL be shut off?

A judge says a thorough oil spill analysis for the Dakota Access Pipeline wasn't done. So what happens next?

A reroute of the protested ND oil pipeline is being considered, Obama says

The president said they'll "let it play out" for a bit longer.

A crude oil pipeline in ND spilled thousands of gallons into a waterway

The spill happened about 150 miles from the site of DAPL protests.