A 13-month-old Minnesota girl is on the mend after spending several days in intensive care after biting into a laundry pod, FOX 9 reports.
According to the station, the girl, Zoe, apparently thought the colorful pod was a blueberry and bit into it, causing burns to her throat. She's out of the hospital now, but is still requiring treatment.
“You can't explain this is going to make you better – if you just sit still and let them do the medicine, that it will make you better," Zoe's mom, Ellen Mishler, tells FOX 9. "But she doesn't understand that.”
Minnesota Poison Control System tells FOX 9 that laundry pod-related poisonings are on the rise. The agency says there were 195 cases involving the laundry pods last year, and 108 already this year, but no deaths. Last month, there were 50 reported cases, a record.
"We're seeing burns to the throat, and to the stomach and those sorts of things," Kirk Hughes, a nurse with Minnesota Poison Control, tells FOX 9.
Nationally, according to the American Association of Poison Control Centers, 5,635 children ages 5 and under were exposed to laundry pods in the first half of this year. Last year, the organization says, there were reports of 10,387 exposures.
The agency says the term "exposure" means contact with the substance in some way, whether they were "ingested, inhaled, absorbed by the skin or eyes, etc. "
"Not all exposures are poisonings or overdoses," the AAPCC said.
A small, brightly-colored packet of laundry detergent that was likely mistaken for a piece of candy put a 1-year-old Clay County boy in intensive care last September, Valley News Live reported.
Alexander Rohde was airlifted to a Fargo, North Dakota, hospital, where he was treated for poisoning. He was released after 13 days of hospitalization, his mother, Michelle Klienschmidt, wrote on the boy's CaringBridge page.
This embed is invalid