Minnesota's 'Ice Man' will again attempt to break the world record

Author:
Publish date:
Image placeholder title

Second time's a charm?

Roger "Ice Man" Hanson is back in Wisconsin in an effort to break the world record for the largest free-standing ice sculpture, the city of Superior said on its website.

Hanson attempted the feat last winter, but a mishap in February that caused the tower to topple and then warm weather in March ended his quest unsuccessfully.

But the City of Superior and the Tourist Development Fund wanted Hanson to bring his sculpting skills back to Barker's Island for the 2016 Lake Superior Ice Project and Festival, which runs Feb. 20-27.

The focal point of the festival will be Hanson's ice creation, which is expected to be ready for prime viewing in February, the city says. The sculpture will be a European-style castle, he told FOX 21.

Hanson started this year's quest back in November, when he moved on to the island to start setting up his equipment, according to a post on his Facebook page. He uses software to control a watering system that slowly builds the tower throughout the winter, and this year Hanson has added a second spray tower to help with the project, the city notes. (Read more about his process here.)

But this year's weather hasn't been cooperating fully – Hanson needs it to be cold. He told the Star Tribune earlier this month that "the weather is a constant struggle ... we'll just see how it goes," noting last year he didn't start constructing the actual tower until Jan. 1.

Last year's project cost the city about $32,444, but generated more than $300,000 worth of unpaid publicity for the region, the Superior Telegram reported. Despite the collapse, the project was deemed a success.

Here's a time-lapse video of last year's project:

https://www.facebook.com/331858546931999/videos/vb.331858546931999/735941326523717/?type=2

Next Up

Related