Skip to main content
Updated:
Original:

MnDOT, Olmsted Co. propose Twin Cities-Rochester high-speed rail

Author:

The Olmsted County Regional Railroad Authority, along with the Minnesota Department of Transportation and the Federal Railroad Administration are beginning a 2-year study of a proposed high-speed passenger rail, or Zip Rail, between Minneapolis/St. Paul and Rochester.

KARE 11 reports seven counties will be included in a plan to build a 100-mile rail line along or near Hwy 52.

An exact route is yet to be determined as the plan is in its very early stages. Construction is still several years away if the project is approved.

Olmsted County Commissioner Ken Brown tells KARE that 80 percent of the rail's cost would be covered by federal money and the other 20 percent would likely come from state bonding.

MPR reports the rail line would be a boon for thousands of Mayo employees who commute from the Twin Cities to Rochester daily, as well as for patients who fly into Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport.

Mayo is Minnesota's largest private employer in the state with 32,000 employees. After Mayo's multibillion dollar-planned expansion, MPR reports the number of employees will more than double in the next 20 years.

Next Up

Karl-Anthony Towns

KAT sets a franchise record, leaves early in loss to Wizards

Towns fell on his back in the final minutes of a loss in Washington.

Flickr - police lights squad siren - Edward Kimmel

Man shot by police in Forest Lake dies from injuries

It was one of two police shootings in the Twin Cities on the same day, both of which proved fatal.

Dylan Bundy

Report: Twins agree to deal with Dylan Bundy

The Twins signed the right-hander with a lockout imminent.

Flickr - face masks covid pole - Ivan Radic

'Everyone should really be masking up' in public, Malcolm says

The health commissioner said residents have gotten "a little bit lax" with some protective measures.

Byron Buxton

Byron Buxton believes he's the best player in baseball

"Nobody [does] the things that I do. I know that."

unsplash medical marijuana

Edibles coming to Minnesota's medical marijuana program

MDH also announced it will not add anxiety as qualifying condition.

plow, snowplow, snow

Plowable snow possible this weekend in Minnesota

Up to half a foot of snow could fall within the heaviest band.

Best Buy - jjbers, Flickr

Police reveal new details about 'coordinated' Best Buy thefts

A large group stole thousands of dollars in merchandise from three Twin Cities Best Buy stores.

Seven Points exterior - 2

New tenant revealed for former Libertine spot in Uptown

The space will combine playful art offerings with a restaurant.

white Christmas

What are Minnesota's chances of a white Christmas this year?

The Twin Cities averages a white Christmas about 3 out of every 4 years.

ilhan omar press conference voicemail screengrab 11.30.21

'You will not live much longer b***': Rep. Omar shares threatening voicemail

Omar's office received the call hours after Rep. Boebert posted her video about the MN congresswoman.

Screen Shot 2021-12-01 at 11.24.09 AM

ESPN's 'Booger' makes fun of Wild fans' record cup snake

He's the same guy who thought the "Minneapolis Miracle" was bad for the Vikings.

Related