With his trial scheduled to begin next week, the man that the FBI said was behind a terror plot in Montevideo will change his plea in court Friday.
Buford “Bucky” Rogers, 25, is facing four felony weapons charges, including possession of Molotov cocktails and a pipe bomb. He is not facing any terrorism-related charges.
The Associated Press reports Rogers is expected to plead guilty, but it's unclear which charges he will plead guilty to. The Star Tribune points out that typically in a plea agreement, some of the charges are dropped and a sentence is negotiated by the prosecution and defense. That information has not been released, the newspaper says.
Rogers was arrested during an FBI raid at a Montevideo mobile home last year on May 3. Law enforcement said then that the arrest was timed to prevent a terrorist attack against Montevideo police. However, the indictment made no mention of any such plan and Rogers' lawyer claimed officials were releasing false information.
Rogers, a member of a small local anti-government group called the Black Snake Militia, told the FBI he was nonviolent and was using the internet to root out possible terrorists, according to court documents unsealed last month.
A source told the Star Tribune there was a "high probability" that Rogers is connected to Minnesota National Guardsman Keith Novak of Maplewood who is currently in federal custody on fraud charges.
Twenty-five-year-old Novak, a human intelligence analyst with the Guard, is accused of stealing social security numbers and security clearance information of hundreds of members in his former Army unit.
According to an affidavit, Novak intended to use the information to create fake IDs for his militia, the 44th Spatha Libertas or “Sword of Freedom.”