The Montevideo man who the FBI said was behind a terror plot pleaded guilty to two counts of weapons violations on Friday.
Buford "Bucky" Rogers pleaded guilty to possession of a firearm by a felon, and possession of unregistered destructive devices. Two similar counts were dropped as part of the plea deal, according to the Star Tribune.
The news broke earlier this week after a change of plea hearing was scheduled for Rogers.
The Associated Press reports U.S. District Judge Ann Montgomery denied a request from defense attorney Andrew Mohring to release Rogers pending sentencing. Mohring claimed the prosecution never presented evidence that Rogers was plotting terrorism.
Rogers was arrested during an FBI raid at a Montevideo mobile home last year on May 3. Law enforcement said then that the arrest was timed to prevent a terrorist attack against Montevideo police. However, the indictment made no mention of any such plan and Rogers’ lawyer claimed officials were releasing false information.
Rogers, a member of a small local anti-government group called the Black Snake Militia, told the FBI he was nonviolent and was using the internet to root out possible terrorists, according to court documents unsealed last month.
Under Friday's plea agreement, the Star Tribune reports Rogers could be sentenced to between 41 and 63 months.
Rogers' trial was scheduled to begin next week.