Mpls. school board suspends contract talks with new superintendent

Author:
Updated:
Original:

The Minneapolis School Board has suspended contract negotiations with its new superintendent as it continues to investigate abuse allegations at the school district he ran in Massachusetts.

At a special meeting Tuesday evening, the board voted to pause the negotiations with Sergio Páez for at least a month, the district announced.

Just last week the board chose Páez to be the next leader of the city’s public school system, and were beginning to negotiate a contract with him when the abuse allegations came to light a few days later.

The Disability Law Center in Massachusetts released a report about Páez's time as superintendent of Holyoke Public Schools. The report claimed there was a pattern of excessive force and psychological abuse against special needs students at Peck School during that time.

Minneapolis school officials said information about the Holyoke complaints was not available before the board voted to select Páez on Dec. 7. They noted that during the hiring process, a “thorough background check and multiple discussions with professional references” for Páez were done.

Investigation continues

Two board members plan to visit Holyoke on Friday to gather more information, and will conduct in-person conversations with associates of Páez.

District officials have also reached out to Massachusetts education officials about the complaints at Peck School.

Páez told The Journal claims made by parents of children in the Peck School program were investigated, saying “there was no finding of any wrongdoing from the administration or the schools.” He added he is working with attorneys to make sure the district understands it was taken care of and “we oversaw the process.”

"The Board takes seriously the allegations in Holyoke and looks forward to thoroughly reviewing and evaluating all pertinent information before finalizing a contract with Dr. Páez," school officials said in the statement.

The Board will discuss the situation again at its next meeting on Jan. 12, and will decide then whether to resume contract negotiations with Páez.

Next Up

Boundary Waters/BWCA

All BWCA visitors will now have to watch three 'Leave No Trace' videos

Visitors left an "unacceptably high amount" of damage last year.

ambulance

Ten fatal overdoses in past 6 weeks reported in region of northern MN

Law enforcement agencies have issued a plea to the general public.

u.s. district court minnesota - federal court minneapolis

Bracing for security threats, federal courthouses closing in Minnesota

Security is also being ramped up at the state capitol.

N95 mask

3M sues Florida company that sold 10K counterfeit N95 masks to HCMC

The Maplewood company has obtained a temporary injunction against the firm.

vaccine, covid

Walz, Whitmer, and Evers call on Trump Admin. to buy more vaccines

It comes after The Washington Post reported that the country's COVID vaccine reserves have been exhausted.

Karl-Anthony Towns

Wolves-Grizzlies game off, KAT tests postive for COVID

The Timberwolves star was among several players that are dealing with COVID-related issues.

minnesota state fair

Planning for the 2021 Minnesota State Fair is underway

The fair suffered huge financial losses due to COVID-19, but organizers are moving forward with planning "different scenarios" for this summer.

Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 2.16.44 PM

Heather Brown named as new WCCO 'This Morning' anchor

She will be joining Jason DeRusha on the CBS affiliate's Morning Show.

DPS John Harrington

DPS Commissioner: No credible threats to state Capitol, but ready if something arises

Local and state law enforcement officials have a plan in case a threat arises.

Related