Muslim groups condemn Ohio State attack; motive investigated

The suspect killed after an attack that injured 11 was a Somali-American student at Ohio State's business school
Author:
Publish date:
Image placeholder title

Muslim and Somali leaders in Minnesota are among those condemning Monday's attack at Ohio State University that left 11 people injured before the suspect was killed by a police officer.

The Minnesota chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) expressed condolences to those affected by the attack and the group's executive director, Jaylani Hussein, said in a statement: "We must not let the act of one individual, no matter what his motive or background, to further divide our community or our nation."

Authorities say Abdul Razak Ali Artan, a Somali-American student at Ohio State, drove his car into a crowd of people and then stabbed others with a knife. Artan was shot less than a minute after the attack began by a university police officer who had responded to a report of a gas leak in the area, the Columbus Dispatch reports.

President-elect Donald Trump and Ohio Gov. John Kasich each issued statements applauding the work of first responders.

All of those hurt in the attack are expected to recover, authorities said.

Ohio State shut down its campus after the 11 a.m. attack Monday but announced it will hold classes as usual on Tuesday. An event to promote the healing process is scheduled for 7 p.m. at the university's basketball arena.

Investigation of motive

According to ABC News, investigators suspect an anti-U.S. rant posted to Facebook a few minutes before the attack may have been linked to Artan. It was on a page that has been disabled, the network says.

Gov. Kasich said "we may never know" the full details behind what caused Monday's attack or what the motives behind it were, Politico reports.

CAIR's Ohio chapter and its national leaders urged the public to avoid a rush to judgment about the motives behind the attack, Business Insider reports.

Earlier in the day CAIR had written to FBI Director James Comey, asking the Bureau to investigate half a dozen threatening letters received by mosques in California and Georgia. A report by the group says there were 78 violent attacks at U.S. mosques last year, which more than doubled the 2014 total.

Next Up

Related