Mystery solved! Police reveal where picnic table fingers came from - Bring Me The News

Mystery solved! Police reveal where picnic table fingers came from


A camper got a surprise in late May after finding two severed fingers on a picnic table in the Red River recreational area near Grand Forks.

After confirming they were indeed very real, police were at a loss as to where they came from. Now, after several months of sleuthing and DNA tests, the East Grand Forks Police Department has an answer.

The fingers belong to a 23-year-old man who lost them in a fireworks accident in Grand Forks, according to KFGO.

Almost all the pieces are in place, but police still don't have a handle on how they got on the table in the first place. Prime suspects are a "bird or other animal."

The 23-year-old lost some fingers when a 2-inch mortar round exploded in downtown Grand Forks early on April 30, the Forum News Service reports.

The incident happened just after 3 a.m. in the 200 block of 1st Ave. North, which is situated on the other side of the Red River from the recreational area.

Next Up


Trying to solve the Mercury Mystery

The Star Tribune reports that this summer a team of Minnesota scientists, with some funding from the state's taconite industry, have quietly launched a $900,000 research project in an effort to solve an environmental mystery that has puzzled them for years: Why are mercury levels in Minnesota fish among the highest in the Great Lakes region?

Mystery solved: Pigeon drop was for race

It was an intriguing image – thousands of pigeons exploding from the back of a truck and circling the skies over Worthington. But who was releasing them and why? Now the Worthington Daily-Globe reveals: The Twin City Concourse pigeon racing club released nearly 1,500 pigeons on Aug. 25 and Sept. 1 at the Tru-Shine Truck Wash. It turns out Worthington is just a good drop point given its 150-mile distance from the Twin Cities.

Mystery of missing Northland wolves solved

Scientists studying the wolf population on Isle Royale were told of a grisly discovery in late May that could explain the reason for a dwindling number of wolves on the island. Three wolves -- including an alpha male -- fell into a water-filled mine shaft, leaving the aimless pack without a leader.