Skip to main content

Names of 17 accused priests released following last week's settlement

  • Author:
  • Updated:
    Original:

The Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis released the names of 17 priests with "substantiated" claims against them of sexually abusing a minor.

The names were released in a joint statement from the archdiocese and the law offices of Jeff Anderson following last week's landmark settlement. Part of the settlement included a process for releasing the names of accused priests that were still under seal.

The archdiocese said nine of the priests had abuse claims involving a minor within the archdiocese. The eight others had claims against them elsewhere, but they either held temporary assignments at the archdiocese, traveled to the archdiocese, resided at the archdiocese without ministry faculties or lived there as a lay person.

Of the accused priests, 10 of the 17 men are dead and all 17 have been removed from ministry. Most of the reported incidents happened between the mid-1950s and the mid-1980s, the statement said.

The disclosed names include:

The archdiocese also said the status has changed for three men whose names were previously disclosed. Eugene Corica and Robert Loftus are now among the men with abuse claims within the archdiocese, bringing the total to 55.

Roger Vaughn was added to a list of men with abuse claims outside the archdiocese, bringing the total to nine on the list.

Next Up

IceCube

Ice Cube to perform 2 nights at Mystic Lake Casino

The rapper hasn't performed in Minnesota since 2018.

image

Nicollet Mall's new Ties Lounge & Rooftop closes 'indefinitely'

The establishment aimed to reconnect the downtown community.

Screen Shot 2022-12-01 at 9.15.44 AM

Chinese restaurant closing after 50 years in Columbia Heights

The beloved family-owned restaurant will close Dec. 24.

Screen Shot 2022-12-01 at 9.43.40 AM

Kris Laudien leaving KARE 11 after four years on 'Sunrise'

KARE 11 announced the appointment of Jason Hackett to the morning show this week.

covid

MN's COVID update for the week ending Tuesday, Nov. 29

There are now more than 570 people hospitalized with COVID-19 in Minnesota.

MNAPresser12122

Twin Cities nurses to strike for 20 days starting Dec. 11

A strike in Duluth and Two Harbors doesn't have an end date set.

WELYRadio

New owners to take over long-running Ely radio station

WELY will go off the air temporarily starting Thursday, pending the sale.

Screen Shot 2022-06-23 at 12.35.25 PM

Minneapolis man gets 10 years for death threats against Hennepin Co. employees

Peter Robert Berry, 60, was sentenced in U.S. District Court Wednesday.

PrinsburgGoogle

Rural MN town to consider ordinance allowing lawsuits against abortion providers

Attorney General Keith Ellison said the ordinance would violate the state constitution.

unnamed

Hope Breakfast Bar owners plan new location in Eagan

The Eagan restaurant plans feature an outdoor patio.

Related