Names of priests accused of abuse may be released Monday

Author:
Publish date:

The much-discussed list of Twin Cities priests who have been accused of sexual abuse could be released Monday after previous delays. KSTP reported the release depends on whether a Ramsey County judge agrees to make the list public.

In November, Archbishop John Nienstedt said he would disclose the names, locations and status of the accused with "permission of the relevant court." The archdiocese said a protective order regarding the names has been in place in Ramsey County District Court since 2009. That's when Ramsey County District Judge Gregg Johnson ordered the archdiocese to release its list of 33 "credibly accused" priests; the action was part of a lawsuit filed by an alleged abuse victim against the Rev. Thomas Adamson. The archdiocese petitioned the court to seal the list and Johnson agreed. Since then, the plaintiff's attorney Jeff Anderson has been trying to get the names released.

The Pioneer Press reported that the archdiocese on Friday said it learned that a meeting with a different Ramsey County judge is scheduled for Dec. 2. Ramsey County Judge John Van de North will preside over a Monday hearing in a case of another man who alleges abuse by Adamson and wants the list of accused priests released. Van de North said that he is not sure church officials need court permission to release the names.

St Paul police have stepped up their efforts to investigate misconduct among the clergy and how the archdiocese has handled those claims. Last week, an internal church documents showed that Rev. Mark Huberty was flagged for sexual misconduct with women a decade ago but remained an active priest. The Maplewood priest was charged in November with fourth-degree criminal sexual conduct, but officials with the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis said they had only recently learned of the allegations against the priest.

Next Up

Related