Nearly half of Minnesota schools fail 'No Child' standards

The Minnesota Education Department on Friday released the list of schools that failed to make what federal officials call “Adequate Yearly Progress."
Author:
Publish date:

Nearly half of the schools in Minnesota failed the federal government’s No Child Left Behind standards this year. That’s about the same percentage as last year.

The state Education Department today released its list of the schools that failed to make what officials call “Adequate Yearly Progress” in reading and math.

But, the Associated Press reports, this could be the last year the list is released. Minnesota is among states applying for a waiver, which would give the state a pass on some of the law’s requirements.

School administrators have long felt the law is unfair and tries to impose a one-size-fits-all mandate. “If you’re looking at holding schools accountable … this isn’t the best way to go about it,” a Duluth school official tells the News Tribune.

And the Star Tribune reports few students are taking advantage of their “No Child” options. The law allows students in under-performing districts to transfer out and get private tutoring on the district’s tab. But few students do, and officials say it’s money misspent.

Next Up

Related

AP: Minnesota gets 'No Child' waiver

The AP quotes an anonymous official who says ten states, including Minnesota, will get waivers from the federal "No Child Left Behind" law. The law requires all students to show proficiency in math and reading by 2014, but some educators say that goal is unrealistic, and that the law is too strict and leads schools to "teach to the test."

Minnesota to renew pursuit of No Child Left Behind waiver

Education officials will revise Minnesota's application for a waiver from the federal law in light of conditions laid out by President Obama. The state wants to be freed from the testing requirements and mandatory sanctions in No Child Left Behind.

St. Cloud schools near deal in alleged Muslim harassment investigation

An agreement with the U.S. Department of Education would end a federal investigation into charges that Muslim students in the district faced harassment and discrimination. The district says its own investigation revealed many of the claims were accurate and says it took appropriate action when authorities learned about the problem.

Minnesota school bus driver accused of choking 12-year-old student

Monticello School District and other officials are investigating allegations by a 12-year-old 7th grade student who says he was choked by a bus driver Tuesday afternoon. Travis Walker claims he was attacked by the driver after he answered a cell phone call from a sibling who was locked out of the house.