Additional assistance is on the way for Duluth area homeowners still struggling with damaged homes following last June's flooding. WDIO reports Duluth Mayor Don Ness said the city's application for $1,097,000 in grant money to buy back damaged homes has been approved. The funds come from the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources, the Minnesota Department of Public Safety and the Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Management.
The money will cover 10 properties. In October, the city filed paperwork seeking the funds for homeowners outside the flood plain because those residents were ineligible for FEMA assistance from the federal government.
Meanwhile, The Duluth News Tribune reports homeowners with property damaged in the flash flooding will get an extension to qualify for help. The paper says the Minnesota Housing Finance Agency pushed the deadline for the Quick Start Disaster Recovery Program to Jan. 31. The program provides no-interest loan of up to $40,000 for repairs; the money is forgiven if the owner remains in the home for 10 years.
The deadline had previously been Jan. 4.