Now it's confirmed: When the water park near Mall of America reopens next winter, you'll only be able to play at it if you're staying at the hotel.
That's according to Wisconsin-based Great Wolf Resorts, which officially announced Tuesday it'll be turning the now-closed Water Park of America and attached Radisson Hotel Bloomington into one of its rustic, cabin-themed resorts.
This may be disappointing for some Minnesotans who took advantage of Water Park of America's offer that allowed people to buy day passes to the water park.
Now, you'll instead have to be a guest at the hotel. Admission to the water park is included with the price of your stay).
The hotel will feature 404 guest rooms, including kid-themed rooms with bunkbeds and suites that can sleep eight people.
Great Wolf Lodge Minnesota says it's slated to open next winter (Bloomington city officials previously told GoMN it could be open as early as November), with room rates available about five to six months before it opens, Jason Lasecki, the director of communications for Great Wolf Resort, told GoMN Tuesday.
The Bloomington location will be Great Wolf's 15th resort, and the first in Minnesota.
More details about the additions
Great Wolf's announcement also includes a few more details about the water park and hotel that weren't revealed in documents filed with the city back in December. Here are some of them:
- The 75,000-square-foot water park will include a multi-level water fort treehouse (here's a photo of one), a lazy river, a wave pool, a family raft ride, and "high thrill" water slides.
- The Great Wolf Adventure Park will have a ropes course, arcade, mini bowling alley, rock wall, and a place where kids can pan for gemstones.
- MagiQuest is a live-action adventure game that's played throughout the resort. People will follow clues and use interactive magic wands to find relics and runes that will help them defeat dragons and goblins.
- Scoops Kid Spa, where kids can get ice cream-themed manicures and pedicures.
- The Great Wolf Kids program, which features daily activities for kids like yoga and the Forest Friends Show, where kids can meet Wiley the Wolf and his friends.
- There will also be story time by the fireplace in the lobby every evening.
- There will be several places to eat, including buffet-style breakfast and dinner; a restaurant with small plates and craft cocktails; a pizza and pasta restaurant; and a place that serves poolside food.
- Great Wolf will also have 4,000-square-feet of event and meeting space.