The police officer who fatally shot Philando Castile last month has been placed back on administrative leave.
Officer Jeronimo Yanez returned to work for the first time since the shooting last week, but the City of St. Anthony announced on Wednesday he would be going back onto paid leave after "feedback" from the community.
"The decision to change Officer Yanez’s status was made after reviewing concerns and other feedback from the community," the city said. "Out of respect to the sensitive nature of the tragic incident and the concerns from the community, the Mayor, City Council and City Manager have decided to make this change."
Yanez had returned to desk duty last week, but his resumption of duties prompted small protests outside the police station by supporters of the Castile family.
"He should not have the opportunity to wear that uniform while this case is going on because my nephew doesn’t get the opportunity to come back and live right now," Castile's uncle, Clarence, told FOX 9 during a protest on Friday. "So he shouldn’t get the opportunity to be a police officer right now."
Castile, a 32-year-old cafeteria worker, was shot during a traffic stop in Falcon Heights on July 6. His girlfriend livestreamed the aftermath on Facebook, saying that Castile had told the officer he had a permit to carry a firearm and was reaching for his license when he was shot.
On Sunday, supporters held a celebration event near the school as a way to raise money for a scholarship that will be in Castile's name.
The Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension is investigating Castile's shooting. When it has completed its probe, the Ramsey County Attorney's Office will make the decision on if charges should be pursued, and how.