A man who was electrocuted while trimming a tree in Minnetonka earlier this week was identified by the Hennepin County medical examiner as Travis Sutherland, 21, of St. Cloud. Sutherland was an employee of a Little Falls tree-trimming company.
The incident occurred about 1 p.m. Wednesday in the 1900 block of Townline Road in Minnetonka. Sutherland was working about 30 feet above the ground, trimming a tree on the property, when a small branch he cut came into contact with a nearby power line and carried electricity to him.
Sutherland was shocked for about 20 seconds until the branch fell and cut the electrical connection, according to authorities.
He was reportedly left dangling from his safety equipment for about an hour as Minnetonka firefighters waited for high-angle rescue equipment to arrive.
Emergency crews started CPR on Sutherland when he was lowered to the ground. He was taken to Hennepin County Medical Center where he later died.
The cause of death was electrocution, according to the medical examiner.
The Minnetonka Police Department is still investigating the circumstances of his death.