The number of victims in a mass shooting on the Las Vegas Strip rose to 59 dead and 527 injured when authorities provided an update on the investigation late Monday.
In an afternoon briefing (you can watch it here) Clark County Sheriff Joe Lombardo said the investigation is underway at four scenes:
– the 32nd floor hotel room in Mandalay Bay where the suspected shooter, Stephen Paddock, was found dead.
– the event center below his room where 22,000 country music fans came under fire.
– Paddock's home in Mesquite, Nevada.
– a second home he owned in northern Nevada.
Lombardo said investigators had found at least 18 firearms at Paddock's home in Mesquite, along with several thousand rounds of ammunition and some explosives.
At the time of the briefing, a SWAT team was preparing to enter the home in northern Nevada, Lombardo said.
According to the Wall Street Journal, 18 to 20 guns were found in Paddock's hotel room, including some fully automatic machine guns.
Below is our story published earlier Monday:
Officials: 58 dead, 515 injured in shooting at Las Vegas country festival
At least 58 people were killed and 500 more were injured – including at least one person from Minnesota – in a shooting on the Las Vegas Strip Sunday night, marking the deadliest shooting in modern U.S. history.
Officials said shots were fired around 10:08 p.m. (local time) from the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay Hotel and Casino towards the Route 91 Harvest Festival, where country singer Jason Aldean was performing.
The suspect, who is said to be a "lone wolf," was found dead in his hotel room.
In a post on Instagram, Aldean said he and his crew are safe, but called the incident "beyond horrific."
Taylor Dumbrovski, who is from Cold Spring, Minnesota, was among the 22,000 people at Aldean's show. She spoke with KARE 11 about what happened, saying they first thought it was fireworks, but when they realized it was gunfire they started running.
"Everybody was running around us. Everyone was panicking. It didn't seem like people were pushing or shoving, if people were caught on stuff people were helping or if they tripped they would help. It was just keep moving, keep helping," she told KARE 11.
Minnesotan, police officers among those injured
Among the 58 people killed in the shooting was a Las Vegas Metropolitan police officer, who was off-duty at the time, a news release says.
Officials say 515 people were transported to the hospital, including two officers who were on-duty and at least one Minnesotan.
What we know about the suspect
Officers responded to the 32nd floor of the hotel, where they found the suspect dead, the release says. He had smashed out the windows with a "hammer-like" device before opening fire, officials said.
He's been identified as 64-year-old Stephen Paddock of Nevada.
The suspect's brother, Eric Paddock, told the Orlando Sentinel that he's "completely dumbfounded" and "can't understand what happened."
The Washington Post says Stephen Paddock was retired and lived a "quiet life" in Mesquite, Nevada, about 80 miles outside of Las Vegas.
He liked to gamble and go to country concerts, and he was also a pilot who owned two planes, the paper adds.
He was unknown to police in Mesquite and Las Vegas, as well as Mesquite, Texas, where he'd also lived for several years, according to the Washington Post.
Officials say he had no connection to terrorist groups
The sheriff's office says they believe this was a "lone wolf" attack.
Officials haven't commented on a possible motive for the shooting, but the FBI did say Stephen Paddock had no known connection to any international terrorist groups.
The Department of Homeland Security says it's monitoring the situation, but at this time they have no information to suggest there's a "specific credible threat involving other public venues in the country."
Police had been looking for a woman they called a person of interest in the case, however police don't believe she was involved as she's been out of the country. They plan to speak with her when she gets back to the U.S., the sheriff's office said.
Trump orders flags at half-staff
President Donald Trump tweeted Monday morning, saying he's sending his "warmest condolences and sympathies to the victims and families of the terrible Las Vegas shooting."
Trump addressed the nation Monday morning, calling the shooting an "act of pure evil."
The president plans to travel to Las Vegas on Wednesday.
GoFundMe page raising money for victims
Steve Sisolak, the Clark County Commission Chair from Las Vegas, started a GoFundMe page to help raise money for victims and their families.
Within two hours of the page going live, it had raised more than $50,000 of its $500,000 goal.
If you're looking to donate money, you can do so here.
Mass shootings in the U.S.
Prior to Sunday night's shooting in Las Vegas, the deadliest mass shooting in the U.S. since 1949 happened at the Pulse nightclub in Orlando, Florida, on June 12, 2016, USA Today reports.
In that incident, 49 people were killed and more than 50 were injured.