In a state famous for its malls, today was a big day, with the opening of the United States' first ever fully enclosed shopping mall in Edina in 1956.
Southdale Center, designed by Austrian war refugee Victor Gruen and developed by the Dayton Company, broke ground on Oct. 29, 1954.
When the $20 million mall opened on this day in 1956, it attracted 40,000 visitors and was 800,000 square feet.
Today, some of Southdale's main attractions are its 16-screen AMC cinema, Herberger's, and JCPenney. Size-wise, it is now 1.3 million square feet after a series of renovations, including a set that were scheduled to be finished this past summer.