This story is being updated as more information comes in. Click refresh for the latest update.
Update: 5 p.m.
An arrest has been made by police over the threat made to Orono schools that cause a lockdown lasting almost 6 hours on Wednesday.
Orono Public Schools said that secondary students who had remained on lockdown were starting to be released from 4:35 p.m.
Students who drive can go home straight away, while police direct traffic for parents picking others up. Buses for the rest will arrive at 5 p.m.
All after school and evening activities have been canceled.
More information about the arrest will be made available later.
Update 3:45 p.m.
Some students are being allowed to return home, but Orono Middle and High schools will remain on lockdown for now.
Update 2:50 p.m.
Another update from Orono schools – the lockdown continues, with a decision due to be made on whether to lift it at 3:15 p.m.
Update 1:35 p.m.
The latest from Orono schools.
Update 1:20 p.m.
Orono schools are still on lockdown but students are all said to be safe.
Nearby Westonka Public Schools says it is monitoring the situation closely
Update: 12:35 p.m.
Orono Public Schools are on lockdown Wednesday lunchtime after a non-specific threat was reported.
According to the public school's Twitter account, all Orono schools went into lockdown at 11:15 a.m. on the advisement of local police.
A non-specific threat was made on social media Tuesday evening that didn't mention Orono, but did include a picture of a gun. It was found by police to be non-credible.
Two more threats then followed on Wednesday, thought to be unconnected to the Tuesday threat. The first was said to be "vague," but the second of them Orono police say was a "direct threat of gun violence at Orono schools."
All students are safe but parents are asked not to go to school campuses.
There are heightened tensions at schools across the country right now following the mass shooting at a school in Florida last week that left 17 students and staff dead.