Philando Castile's family reaches $3M settlement in his death

The settlement avoids a federal civil rights lawsuit.
Author:
Updated:
Original:

Philando Castile's family has reached a settlement with the City of St. Anthony Village in connection to his July 6, 2016, death.

Valerie Castile, Philando Castile's mother, will receive $2.995 million, a joint statement from the city and the Castile family says.

The settlement avoids a federal civil rights lawsuit, which could have taken years to resolve, "exacerbating the suffering of the family and of the community," the statement adds.

Former St. Anthony police officer Jeronimo Yanez was charged with manslaughter, among other charges, in Philando Castile's death. Earlier this month he was acquitted by a jury. The jury's decision prompted days of protests in the Twin Cities.

The statement says both sides moved "expeditiously to resolve potential civil claims resulting from this tragedy in order to allow the process of healing to move forward for the Castile family, for the people of St. Anthony Village, and for all those impacted by the death of Philando Castile throughout the United States."

"No amount of money could ever replace Philando. With resolution of the claims the family will continue to deal with their loss through the important work of the Philando Castile Relief Foundation," the statement says.

The money will be paid through St. Anthony Village's insurance coverage, not by taxpayer money, the statement says. The settlement does require approval by a state court, which could take a few weeks, The Associated Press notes.

In the statement, the City of St. Anthony Village says it is committed to transforming its police department and improving trust between officers and the community.

MPR News says this is one of the highest payouts involving police conduct in Minnesota history.

Next Up

Related