Plans for $500M expansion of Mall of America revealed, aimed at luxury shoppers

Author:
Updated:
Original:

Even though work hasn't yet finished on a $325 million extension, the Mall of America is already looking to spend a further $500 million on its next building project.

The Star Tribune reports that plans have been submitted to the City of Bloomington for the next phase of the megamall's expansion, which will increase its size by another 1 million square feet by fall 2018.

It would comprise of a hotel, an office tower, and retail space aimed at luxury shoppers called "The Collections at MOA," the newspaper says, adding that it will create a "new and vibrant high-end shopping district at MOA"

The Business Journal reports that the latest expansion is likely to cost upward of $500 million, and would include 580,000 square foot of retail space, a 180-room hotel with 120 apartment/condo units above, a 168,000 square foot office building and between 600 and 650 parking spaces.

The publication has some images of the new expansion you can view here.

The website notes that the new wing of the mall will link to the still-under-construction $325 million extension at the north end of the mall between Nordstrom and Sears, with Star Tribune saying it would connect via a multi-story bridge over Lindau Lane.

The first section of the mall's north addition opened earlier this month, the Associated Press reports, with restaurants the first tenants to move in, setting up shop in a new food court dubbed "Culinary on North."

Next Up

Screen Shot 2020-11-28 at 6.58.11 PM

Gophers dominate second half to defeat Loyola-Marymount

Marcus Carr scored 26 to send the Gophers to 2-0.

Ambulance hospital emergency

Kandiyohi Co. man airlifted after hand caught in corn picker

Corn pickers are a common cause of farm accidents.

White tail deer

DNR: Passenger shot at deer out of driver's side window

The DNR said 'all sense of safety was disregarded.'

Screen Shot 2019-07-18 at 9.10.30 AM

Mpls council proposal would cut nearly $8M from 2021 police budget

The "Safety for All Budget Plan" was introduced Friday.

Shayne Munich

Minneapolis police appeal for help finding missing man

Shayne Munich is described as a vulnerable adult.

Screen Shot 2020-11-27 at 6.26.50 PM

Minnesota nurse's story about her battle with COVID-19 goes viral

A month later, Ashley Walter is on a hard road to recovery.

Adam Thielen

Report: Still on COVID-19 list, Thielen not expected to play Sunday

Thielen was placed on the COVID-19/Reserve list on Monday.

Image from iOS (19)

Mask-wearing, distancing a common sight on MOA's Black Friday

Thousands of shoppers were out and about on Black Friday despite the COVID-19 situation.

Related