A 40-year-old man has confessed to police that he burned two U.S. flags at two businesses in downtown Willmar earlier this month, the Forum of Fargo-Moorhead reports.
The Willmar Police Department posted an update on the case on its Facebook page Thursday. While the police said the man confessed, he has not been arrested yet or charged. The suspect was only identified as a white male and local.
"An official arrest was not made by the police because the crimes stemming from these incidents were un-witnessed misdemeanors. The name of the suspect will be released in the next few days after formal charges have been filed within the Court," Willmar police said.
Police said the individual had been identified within the department "as a person of interest and a possible suspect" within a few days after receiving the original reports.
"However, to prevent any false accusations a diligent police investigation continued," police said in the Facebook post.
The alleged flag burning incidents took place June 1.
According to the post, the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension assisted with the investigation by providing video enhancement services, which in turn helped investigators gain enough evidence to properly interview the suspect, who then confessed to the flag burnings.