Prince death investigation: Search warrants will be public Monday

The search warrants have been sealed since October.
Author:
Updated:
Original:

The search warrants that are part of the Prince death investigation will be made public on Monday.

Investigators last October had asked the court to keep the documents sealed, over worries if they became public it could hinder their investigation into the music icon's death, Carver County Sheriff's Office Chief Deputy Jason Kamerud explained.

But that seal has a six-month expiration date. And those documents are set to be available on April 17.

Two court documents were filed Thursday, allowing the search warrants to be posted online once they're available, Kamerud said. The search warrants will be available here.

The investigation is not over, however. Kamerud said it is very much still an active thing, and added he could not comment on what is being looked at, or any other details.

What we know about Prince's death

Prince was found dead in his Paisley Park elevator the morning of April 21, 2016.

An autopsy found he died from an overdose of fentanyl – a powerful synthetic drug that’s used to treat pain. The autopsy report said he took the drug himself, and ruled his death an accident.

Officials said the day after Prince died, first responders did not use the overdose-reversal drug naloxone on the scene. You can see the news conference from that time below.

Questions about the role of prescription drugs in his death circled for months, especially after the Drug Enforcement Administration joined the death investigation in May 2016.

One search warrant the LA Times got its hands on identified a doctor that had written prescriptions for Prince in the days before his death. It wasn't clear what the medicine was, or whether Prince even filled the prescription.

And the Star Tribune in August reported pills investigators found at Paisley Park were labeled as "Hydrocodone" – even though they contained fentanyl.

Next Up

police tape, crime scene

Man found dead outside home near Cass Lake

The man was reportedly shot outside the property.

Minnesota_Welcome_Sign_-_Minnesota_Welcomes_You_-_Taylors_Falls_(28269804891)

Gov. Walz announces $1M in grants to boost Minnesota tourism

The money will be used for marketing efforts to attract people to Minnesota's hard-hit tourist spots.

coronavirus, ICU

Nov. 25 COVID-19 update: 72 deaths ties Minnesota's single-day high

A COVID-19 update will not be provided on Thanksgiving Day.

Texa-Tonka

Revival to open its fourth Twin Cities location

The fried chicken and smoked meat maestros are moving to St. Louis Park.

Duluth and Case Recreation Center

St. Paul to open two extra temporary shelters for homeless people

Mayor Melvin Carter announced the new shelters will be opened in the event of excess demand.

vote, election

Minnesota once again had the highest election turnout in the country

Amid the COVID-19 pandemic, a record percentage of voters also sent in absentee ballots.

court gavel

Minneapolis man sentenced to 30 years for death in robbery gone wrong

James Moore was sentenced in the death of Malik Smith.

Em1jOWyWEAwspXK (1)

St. Paul homicide suspect arrested by FBI in Chicago

A 34-year-old Minneapolis man was killed in the Nov. 14 shooting.

Sanford Health

Sanford Health 'parts ways' with CEO after his face mask comments

Kelby Krabbenhoft had been with the company since 1996.

Related