Demonstrators continued to camp outside the Minneapolis Police Department's Fourth Precinct Monday, protesting after police shot an assault suspect early Sunday morning. They say they plan to stay there until their demands are met.
They're seeking "justice" for the man, identified by community members as Jamar Clark, who was shot around 12:45 a.m. Sunday following a struggle with officers.
There's a dispute over what happened in the lead-up to the shooting: Witnesses and activists say Clark, a black man, was handcuffed and unarmed at the time he was shot. Police have said preliminary findings show he was not in handcuffs.
Police were responding to a suspected assault at the time, and say the man who was shot was interfering while paramedics were trying to aid the victim. When police arrived, a struggle ensued and at some point the man was shot, authorities say.
The Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension is investigating the officer-involved shooting, police tweeted.
At 4:15 p.m. Monday, Mayor Betsy Hodges, Police Chief Janeé Harteau, and the commissioners for the Department of Public Safety and Department of Human Rights will hold a press conference to talk about "next steps" in regards to the shooting, an email release says.
His current condition is also unclear; family members say he was shot in the head and is on life support, while the police have not released any information except to say he is being treated at a hospital.
The two officers involved in the shooting are on paid leave, which is standard procedure, while the BCA investigates.
Activists stage sit-in, issue list of demands
Activists – including Black Lives Matter Minneapolis, the local chapter of the NAACP and the Community United Against Police Brutality – began rallying around 3 p.m. Sunday.
Hundreds of demonstrators marched from the corner of James Avenue North and Plymouth Avenue North – where the shooting took place – to the Fourth Precinct police station in North Minneapolis, where they pounded on the locked doors, demanding to be let inside, WCCO reports.
More than a dozen staged a sit-in at the station overnight, saying they'll stay in the atrium of the precinct until their demands are met.
Activists are asking for the release of video they believe might show the incident, and want police to reveal the names of the officers involved in the shooting, Black Lives Matter says. The group is also calling on Mayor Betsy Hodges to order a federal investigation into the shooting, instead of having the BCA investigate.
Black Lives Matter held a news conference Monday morning, where Clark's father, witnesses and community leaders spoke about the shooting, saying they are seeking answers and will stay at the precinct until they know what happened, according to tweets from the news conference.
They have also asked more people from the community to join them at the precinct, where they've pitched a few tents outside the entrance to the station and hung a Black Lives Matter banner above the doors.
More demonstrations are planned for 5 p.m. Monday, Black Lives Matter posted on Facebook.
ACLU demands transparency
The American Civil Liberties Union of Minnesota released a statement Monday:
"The ACLU-MN is asking for full transparency and accountability moving forward. Including but not limited to a release of the video, naming of the officers involved, and the launch of a full DOJ investigation."
The statement notes that so far this year, 998 people have been killed by police, including 11 in Minnesota, adding that the "first step in interrupting this cycle must be urgent reforms in how police and communities interact."
Community members have been tweeting photos from the protest and sit-in, as well as from Monday's news conference, using the hashtags #Justice4Jamar, #JamesAndPlymouth and #4thPrecinctShutDown. Here are some of them: