A St. Paul Police Department spokesman says the Ramsey County Attorney's Office has asked the department to reopen two cases relating to its investigation into the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis, Minnesota Public Radio reports.
The spokesman confirmed with MPR that the cases pertain to Archbishop John Nienstedt and former St. Paul priest Curtis Wehmeyer.
WCCO says the reason prosecutors want to reopen the Nienstedt doesn't have to do with new evidence.
In addition, prosecutors don't want reports from Nienstedt's case being made public yet because of other elements need to be investigated, WCCO reports.
Nienstedt was cleared earlier this month of allegations of inappropriate touching. The archbishop was accused in December of groping a boy several years ago at a public event, but the St. Paul Police Department did not find sufficient evidence of a crime, MPR News reported.
Wehmeyer is currently serving prison time after pleading guilty in 2012 to sexually abusing two boys, ages 12 and 14, and possessing child pornography.
MPR says the office of Ramsey County Attorney John Choi asked the St. Paul Police Department to reopen Nienstedt's and Wehmeyer's cases.
Neither the Ramsey County Attorney's Office or Nienstedt were available for comment, MPR says.
Word of the request comes on the eve of a court deadline Thursday, where the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis will present arguments in front of a Ramsey County Court judge. Attorneys for the Archdiocese are expected to ask for an extra 90 days in an effort to gather and disclose documents related to priests suspected of sexual abuse.
The archdiocese is also seeking new protections that would limit public access to the documents, according to the Star Tribune reports.